Work done on incline with friction

In summary, a father is pushing his daughter's sled up a snowy incline with a horizontal force, facing both gravity and friction. The total mass is 35 kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20. The resulting work done by the father is 3342 Joules, taking into account the increased normal force due to the horizontal direction of the force.
tehstone

Homework Statement

A father pushes horizontally on his daughter's sled to move it up a snowy incline, as illustrated in the figure, with h = 4.4 m and θ = 10°. The total mass of the sled and the girl is 35 kg and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled runners and the snow is 0.20. If the sled moves up the hill with a constant velocity, how much work is done by the father in moving it from the bottom to the top of the hill?

5-24balt.gif

Homework Equations

W = Fp * d

The Attempt at a Solution

2 things have to be overcome, gravity and the friction.

1. For gravity: F = m*g*h = (35kg)(9.8m/s^2)(4.4m) = 1509 N

2. Friction: W = fk * d.

fk = uk*m*g*cos(10) = (.2)(35kg)(9.8m/s^2)*cos(10) = 67.56

d = h/sin(theta) = 4.4/sin(10) = 25.34

w = 67.56 * 25.34 = 1712 N

So the total force exerted by the father should be 1509N + 1712N = 3221 N but this is wrong. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing work and force units. The problem asks for the work done by dad, not the force he exerts. What is the correct unit for work??

That would be Joules. and so to go from Newtons to Joules you have to include the distance over which the Newtons were exerted. I did that for the friction calculation. But the work done vs gravity shouldn't need it because gravity is conservative right?

Edit:
So to be clear, for the friction calculation, it is 67.56 N * 25.3 m = 1712 J. But isn't the gravity calculation correct as well? the distance in this case is vertical so it's the height (4.4m) which is included. So then the 1509 N should be Joules. But the numerical answer is the same. This is an online assignment and the units are given, only the magnitude is required, and the figure of 3221 was incorrect.

The work done by gravity is -1509 Joules. Ot if you like, the potential energy change is 1509 Joules. You mistakenly called it a force of 1509 N. Your numerical answer looks correct for the work (not the force) done by dad. Your units for work are not so good.

Oh units were given, sorry. Try using 3200 J, could be a sig fig thing.

I ran out of answer attempts so now I can't find out what the correct answer is. I tried both 3221 J and 3.2e3 J and neither were correct. Oh well, thank you very much for your help.

You overlooked that F was horizontal. That increases the normal force and hence the friction. I believe the correct answer is mgh(t+kd)/(t(1-t*kd)) where t = tan(θ) and kd is the dynamic coefficient of friction. That gives 3342J.
Note that if we write kd = tan(α) then it becomes mgh tan(θ+α)/tan(θ).

haruspex said:
You overlooked that F was horizontal. That increases the normal force and hence the friction. I believe the correct answer is mgh(t+kd)/(t(1-t*kd)) where t = tan(θ) and kd is the dynamic coefficient of friction. That gives 3342J.
I overlooked that also. My apologies.

haruspex said:

Thank you! That was the correct solution.

1. What is the formula for calculating the work done on an incline with friction?

The formula for calculating the work done on an incline with friction is W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done, F is the applied force, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

2. How does friction affect the work done on an incline?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it reduces the amount of work done on an incline. This means that more force is required to move an object up an incline with friction compared to one without friction.

3. Can the work done on an incline with friction ever be negative?

Yes, the work done on an incline with friction can be negative if the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions. This indicates that more work is being done against friction than the work being done by the applied force.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the work done on an incline?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more work is required to move an object up an incline. This is because a higher coefficient of friction means more force is needed to overcome the resistance of friction.

5. Can the work done on an incline with friction be equal to zero?

Yes, the work done on an incline with friction can be equal to zero if the force and displacement vectors are perpendicular to each other. This means that the applied force is not doing any work against friction, but is instead acting perpendicular to the incline's surface.