Work done to reach the point where the gravitational potential is zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational potential as the work done per kg to bring an object from infinity to its current location. By symmetry, the work to send the object back to infinity must be the same but of opposite sign. The last part of the question involves determining the work done for an object located at the surface of the Earth, with a mass of 5 kg and a distance of the radius of the Earth. The discussion ends with agreement on this solution.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Calculate the work done on the mass to a point where the gravitational potential is zero
Relevant Equations
V = –GM/r
Hi there

I have been attempting the parts to this question and I'm finding some trouble on how to answer the last part which is d)iii

IMG_3719.JPG

Here is what I have done for the rest of the parts and what I think I should start off with in part d)iii

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational potential represents the work done (per kg) in order to bring the object from infinity to its current location.

1579894946508.png

By symmetry, the work to send the object back to infinity must be the same but of opposite sign.

Likes Bolter
gneill said:
Gravitational potential represents the work done (per kg) in order to bring the object from infinity to its current location.

View attachment 256044

By symmetry, the work to send the object back to infinity must be the same but of opposite sign.

I see, this is what I have tried now

IMG_3720.JPG

Where I assumed that the current location of the 5 kg mass was lying at the surface of the Earth so the distance r was the radius of the Earth then

Given your assumption that looks good.

1. What is "work done" in the context of reaching a point with zero gravitational potential?

"Work done" refers to the amount of energy required to move an object from one point to another against a force, such as gravity. In this context, it is the energy needed to reach a point where the gravitational potential is zero.

2. How is work done calculated in relation to gravitational potential?

The work done to reach a point with zero gravitational potential is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance the object is moved. This can be expressed as W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the significance of reaching a point with zero gravitational potential?

Reaching a point with zero gravitational potential means that an object has reached the minimum height in a gravitational field and has no gravitational potential energy. This point is often referred to as the "reference point" or "datum" for measuring gravitational potential energy.

4. Can work be done to decrease gravitational potential?

Yes, work can be done to decrease gravitational potential. This can be achieved by moving an object closer to the source of gravity, such as by dropping an object from a height. The work done in this case would be negative, as the object is moving in the direction of the gravitational force.

5. How does the work done to reach a point with zero gravitational potential affect the object's kinetic energy?

The work done to reach a point with zero gravitational potential does not directly affect an object's kinetic energy. However, if the object was initially at a higher point with potential energy and then moved to the zero potential point, the potential energy would be converted into kinetic energy. This means that the object's speed would increase as it moves closer to the zero potential point.