Work, energy and forces in a horizontal plane

In summary, the book gives the answer of 1.28 * 103 for how much work is done on the mat by the student. However, I found the answer to be 1500 joules, which is correct.
The Liberator
Thanks in advance guys, and it does not need to be treated as a high priority question.

Homework Statement

This is not so much a homework question, as it is a query about a question that I am getting a wrong answer for (that is to the book's answer).

This is the straight question that the book gives me:

"A student supplies a constant force of 200 N at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal to pull a 50 kg object, initially at rest across a flat surface for 10 s. A constant frictional force acts on the mat, and the velocity after the 10 s is 3 ms-1"The question asks how much work is done on the mat by the student?

Homework Equations

[tex]W = F * x * cosine (theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have substituted the values for cosine theta as 0.5, and F is 200 N, I tried to find the value for x, by using v * t = x, and substituted it as 3 * 10 = 30 m.

The answer that I found was 6 * 103 joules, and the book gave the answer as 1.28 * 103.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi The Liberator! Welcome to PF! :smile:
The Liberator said:
A student supplies a constant force of 200 N at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal to pull a 50 kg object, initially at rest across a flat surface for 10 s. A constant frictional force acts on the mat, and the velocity after the 10 s is 3 ms-1

I tried to find the value for x, by using v * t = x, and substituted it as 3 * 10 = 30 m.

Nope … v is only the final velocity …

try one of the constant acceleration equations :wink:

Ahhh, okay. thanks. I will do, then report back to see answers.

By the way, thanks for welcoming me here. :)

Edit:I looked at the links, and I am sorry, but I don't follow.

Last edited:
The object starts at rest, and after t = 10s is moving at v =3 ms-1.

Its acceleration, a, is constant.

You should be able to find an equation connecting v t and a, so you can find the value of a, and then an equation connecting x and a, so you can find the value of x :smile:

Oh, okay thanks. I understand now. :D

I think this one will do… [tex]v = u + at[/tex]

I substituted the numbers and have it as 3 = 0 + 10a

I found a = 0.3 ms-2

and therefore [v2 = u2+ 2ax

Substituted the numbers and have it as 9 = 0 + 2 * 0.3 x

I found x = 15 m.

The only thing is my final answer is different to what the book says. :confused:

Thanks.

The Liberator said:
I found x = 15 m.

The only thing is my final answer is different to what the book says. :confused:

ah … got it … i wondered why they gave you the mass :rolleyes:

the question asks for the work done on the mat, not on the object

(I assume the mat is fixed to the floor, and the object is moving across it)

so you have to calculate the friction force between the mat and the object (use good ol' Newton's second law, with the acceleration you found), and the work done by that

alternatively, use the work-energy theorem, and just subtract the energy gained by the object from the work done by the student :smile:

:blushing:

Oh, I am very sorry, I miss-read the answer in the book. I actually do have the right answer now…

My working out:

[tex]W = F * x * cosine(theta)[/tex]

W = 200 * 15 * 0.5

W = 1500 joules.

Thanks very much Tim.

Also, sorry for confusing you, but I also miss-used the wording, as the object is also the mat.

By the way, this is a solved problem. It can now have the solved icon thing on it.

1. What is work in a horizontal plane?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of that force. In a horizontal plane, work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in a straight line on a horizontal surface.

2. How is energy related to work in a horizontal plane?

Energy and work are closely related concepts in physics. In a horizontal plane, the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when work is done on an object, its energy changes, and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a horizontal plane?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already moving. In a horizontal plane, static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction, which means more work is required to overcome static friction and get an object moving.

4. How does the angle of a force affect work in a horizontal plane?

The angle of a force applied to an object in a horizontal plane affects the amount of work done on the object. When a force is applied at an angle, only the component of the force in the direction of motion will do work, while the component perpendicular to the motion will not. This means that the work done will be less than if the force was applied in the same direction as the motion.

5. Can an object have both kinetic and potential energy in a horizontal plane?

Yes, an object can have both kinetic and potential energy in a horizontal plane. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. In a horizontal plane, an object can have kinetic energy due to its motion and potential energy due to its position or height above the ground.