Work Energy Method for Rotational Motion

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the gravitational potential energy and the kinetic energy of a rotating object. They are not sure how to calculate the kinetic energy and need help from the teacher. The teacher provides a summary of the content and explains that the kinetic energy is the amount of energy that is transferred when a force is applied to a rotating object. They then need to calculate the distance traveled by the object and use the correct radius to find the angle of rotation. For part (b), they need to think about how to calculate the work done by a force and find a formula for it. Finally, in part (c), they will find the total energy at the final location and calculate the kinetic and potential energy.
freshbox

Homework Statement

I don't how how to work out for the Gravitational Energy "H".

Info given is 1.5rev converting to 9.42rad/s
S=rδ
S=0.2x9.42
=1.884

*Should i multiply the axle radius or wheel?

The Attempt at a Solution

E1=K1+G1+S1
=1/2(8.5)202+(20)(9.81)(H)+0Thanks

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
freshbox said:

Homework Statement

I don't how how to work out for the Gravitational Energy "H".

Info given is 1.5rev converting to 9.42rad/s

Check the units for the 9.42

S=rδ
S=0.2x9.42
=1.884

*Should i multiply the axle radius or wheel?

What are you trying to calculate above?

The Attempt at a Solution

E1=K1+G1+S1
=1/2(8.5)202+(20)(9.81)(H)+0

Your expression for the kinetic energy is not correct. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a rotating object? The hanging mass also has kinetic energy at the initial time.

Since the mass is located at the "datum" at the initial time, you can consider the potential energy to be zero at that time.

Sorry should be 9.42rad

S=rδ
S=0.2x9.42
=1.884
I am trying to calculate the distance for the height for gravitational energy

How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a rotating object?
K=Iω2

Since v=rω
2=0.1ω
ω=20rad/s

what do you mean by potential energy? do you mean kinetic?

The equation should be:

1/2(8.5)(20)2+1/2(20)(2)2+G1+0

Rotational as "1/2(8.5)(20)2"
Linear as "1/2(20)(2)2"

G1-don't know how to form

S1 as 0 because there is no spring

Last edited:
freshbox said:
Sorry should be 9.42rad

S=rδ
S=0.2x9.42
=1.884
I am trying to calculate the distance for the height for gravitational energy

How do you calculate the kinetic energy of a rotating object?
K=Iω2

Since v=rω
2=0.1ω
ω=20rad/s

OK, that looks good except for a factor of 1/2 in K.
The equation should be:

1/2(8.5)(20)2+1/2(20)(2)2+G1+0

Rotational as "1/2(8.5)(20)2"
Linear as "1/2(20)(2)2"

G1-don't know how to form

All right. I didn't know what the symbols S and G were standing for. As you say, there's definitely no spring potential energy. For the gravitational potential energy, note that the hanging mass is located initially at the "DATUM". That's the point where the gravitational potential energy is taken to be zero. So, G1 = 0.

Did the box go down eventually? To my understanding yes because that question says in 1.5 rev" So that means the box travel 1.5 rev downwards.

So i set my datum point at the 1.5 rev point, hence there is gravitational potential energy at the initial position which i am trying to calculate but i don't know whether to use the axle or the wheel radius.

Last edited:
freshbox said:
Did the box go down eventually?
Yes. So, when you go to part (b) the box will be below the datum.

[EDIT: Did you use the correct radius for finding this distance?]

Did the box go down eventually? To my understanding yes because that question says in 1.5 rev" So that means the box travel 1.5 rev downwards.

So i set my datum point at the 1.5 rev point, hence there is gravitational potential energy at the initial position which i am trying to calculate but i don't know whether to use the axle or the wheel radius.

Hmm after some thinking, do you mean i have to follow the question datum and i cannot set the datum myself unless the question never state the datum in the 1st place?

freshbox said:

You don't want to change the datum point. The answers you gave are for the datum shown in the picture. So, if you want to get the same answers, you need to keep the datum as shown.

The string tied to the box is wrapped around the pulley of radius 0.10 m. So, that's the radius you want to use to convert angle of rotation to linear distance traveled by the box.

For Part B

U1-2=T.δ+F.s
=(P)(9.42)+(P)(0.942)

For part (b) you just need to calculate the total energy at the final location. What is the kinetic energy there? What is the potential energy there?
[Sorry, that's for part (c)]

For part (b) you need to think about how to calculate the work done by a force. Do you know a formula for this?

I don't know I am just trying to calculate the linear and rotatational energy. This is getting confusing :cry:

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 377
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 472
Confusion is normal. We'll get it. The questions in the problem are sort of guiding you through step by step. So, in part (a) you find the initial energy. In part (c) you will find the final energy. For part (b), you just need to find an expression for the work done by the force P.

You have posted a couple of pages. One expresses the work in terms of force and distance, the other in terms of torque and angle. You can use either one of these expressions. They will yield the same answer.

For Part B

U1-2=T.δ+F.s
=(P)(9.42)+(P)(0.942)

Wrong answer :cry: I assume my linear work done is correct. But my δ is definitely wrong.
*wait give me some time to work out

Last edited:
freshbox said:
For Part B

U1-2=T.δ+F.s
=(P)(9.42)+(P)(0.942)
Use either force times distance or torque times angle. If you decide to use force times distance, the distance must be linear distance in meters. If, instead, you decide to use torque times angle to get the work, then you will need to express the torque in terms of P.

"Use either force times distance or torque times angle."

I thought there is linear and rotational? The parcel is moving downwards (linear) and the wheel is rotating (rotational)

?

The force P acts at one point and does some work. Your job is to express the work done by P. Since P acts in a direction opposite to the motion of the rim of the wheel, the work done is negative. The basic formula for work when the force acts opposite to the motion is

work = -Force.distance = -P.s

That will give you the total work done by P. (If you want to, you can express this work in terms of the torque exerted by P as work = -torque.angle).

Let's just stick with work = -P.s What value of s should you use? (Hint: you already calculated it in your first post.) Does this give you the answer for (b)?

I'm sorry i don't understand.

The question ask "Write an expression for work done by force P in stopping the wheel and axle"

Stopping the wheel - Wheel is rotating in the 1st place (Rotational Motion)
Stopping the axle - Parcel is tied to the axle (Linear Motion)

With reference to the screenshot below part C, the question ask for the work done by the frictional force on the drum,so it is only just the rotational motion and not linear motion.

So why do you say i can use either force times distance or torque times angle? But to my understanding linear and rotational exist, shouldn't i use both?

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 391
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 416
The force P acts over a distance equal to the arc length, s, that a point of the rim travels as the wheel rotates through an angle δ. The relation between s and δ is s = r.δ

The work done by P is just the force times the distance s: work = -P.s

But note that we could express this as work = -P.(r.δ) = -(P.r).δ = -T.δ = -torque.angle.

The force P does not do both "linear work" and "rotational work". The definition of work is just force times distance (when the force is parallel to the distance, as here). So, work = -P.s and that's it. It's just that sometimes you will see this work expressed as -T.δ. It represents the same work.

Then how do you explain this?

2nd diagram "Work done = Fs+Tδ"

I know there is rotational and linear motion.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 457
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 451
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 436
They are calculating the work done by three different sources here. For the work done by the frictional torque of the flywheel, they use T.δ. For the work done by the force of friction on the slope they use F.s and for the work done by the 500 N force they use F.s.cosθ

They never use F.s + T.δ for the same force. It's either one or the other: F.s or T.δ

Can i say for post #1 question, linear and rotational motion actually exist, but i can use either force times distance or torque times angle to find the work done by P?

Yes :smile:

I'm sorry but I don't understand post #20. Can you explain the rationale behind again please?Thank you.

Well, I need to go shopping. Will be back later. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Ok thank you for the help so far.

And if I just use U1-2=F.s
s=rδ
s=0.1x9.42
= 0.942

Subbing into formula:
=-P0.942 (Answer) Wrong.
May I know where did I go wrong?

freshbox said:
And if I just use U1-2=F.s
s=rδ
s=0.1x9.42
= 0.942

Subbing into formula:
=-P0.942 (Answer) Wrong.
May I know where did I go wrong?

Made it back. The force P is applied at the rim of the wheel. What radius should you use if you want the distance, s, that a point on the rim travels when the wheel rotates through 0.942 radians?

Last edited:
Thanks TSny, I managed to solved this question already.

Great! Good work.

1. What is the work-energy method for rotational motion?

The work-energy method for rotational motion is a way of analyzing the motion of rotating objects by considering the work done on the object and the change in its kinetic energy. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant.

2. How is work calculated in rotational motion?

Work in rotational motion is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. In rotational motion, the force applied is often a torque, which is the product of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that if work is done on an object, its kinetic energy will increase, and if work is done by the object, its kinetic energy will decrease.

4. How is the work-energy method used to solve problems in rotational motion?

The work-energy method can be used to solve problems in rotational motion by setting up equations that relate the work done on the object to its change in kinetic energy. These equations can then be solved to find the unknown variables, such as the final velocity or the applied torque.

5. What are some real-life applications of the work-energy method for rotational motion?

The work-energy method for rotational motion has many practical applications, such as in the design of machines and vehicles that involve rotating parts. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to analyze the motion and energy of rotating athletes. Additionally, the work-energy method is used in the study of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, to understand their rotational motion and energy.