1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Energy Theorem of a fired arrow

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.065 kg arrow is fired horizontally. The bowstring exerts an average force of 70 N on the arrow over a distance of 0.90 m. With what speed does the arrow leave the bow?

2. Relevant equations
    W=KE final - KE initial
    KE= 1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I used the force given and the distance given and found the work to be 63J. From there I set that equal to the change in kinetic energy. I believe the final kinetic energy is 0, but if that is the case I am obtaining the wrong answer. The final answer is supposed to be 44 m/s.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's initial KE is zero, but why do you expect its KE as it leaves the bow to be zero? It leaves it with a certain speed, and KE is associated with that speed.
  4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Hmm... I suppose with KE final I assumed it meant when the arrow hits the ground. So... I had it backwards? Did I just interpret the question wrong?
  5. Dec 8, 2008 #4
    Oh geeze, I just figured out what I did wrong. I wrote it down as .65 instead of .065. Thank you a lot for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?