Work Energy Theorem+Projectile motion

In summary, a 25.0 g mass is pushed against a spring on a 50.0 degree inclined plane with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.200. After being released, it travels up the plane and leaves the spring, then travels an additional 45.0 cm before landing 270.0 cm from the base of the incline. The spring constant is found to be 35.6 N/m by calculating the work done by the spring, gravity, and friction and setting it equal to the change in kinetic energy.
rwx1606

Homework Statement

A 25.0 g mass rests on a 50.0 inclined plane (uk = 0.200). It is pushed against a spring, compressing it 15.0 cm, and released. It moves up the plane and leaves the spring, traveling an additional 45.0 cm before leaving the edge of the plane (at a height of 80.0 cm above the ground). It then flies through the air, and is observed to land 270. cm from the base of the incline. What was the spring constant?

Homework Equations

Wnet = ΔK, mvf^2 - mvi^2
Xf = Xi + Vit + (1 / 2)at2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, what I thought was the key to solving this problem was to realize the final speed on the incline is the initial speed of a projectile motion problem. So I found the work done by the spring, gravity,and friction. The net work I calculated was 0.1125k-13.2 (where k is the spring constant). I set this equation equal to the change in kinetic energy. I know the object had an initial velocity zero, and as mentioned before, the final velocity should be equal to the initial velocity of the projectile motion part of the problem. So I solved for the final velocity at the top of the incline by using the kinematics equation. I assumed mass was launched at the same angle as the incline, 50.0 degrees. After getting the final initial velocity from this projectile part of the problem, I set that equal to the final velocity of the mass at the top of the incline. It turned out to be 0.1125k-13.2=1/2(.0250kg)(21.5m/s) and found the spring constant to be 1192.96 N/m. I only received half credit for the problem and was hoping you guys could help me figure out where I went wrong. I checked my math a couple of times, so I think I'm making a conceptual mistake. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
rwx1606 said:
Well, what I thought was the key to solving this problem was to realize the final speed on the incline is the initial speed of a projectile motion problem.
That's good.
So I found the work done by the spring, gravity,and friction. The net work I calculated was 0.1125k-13.2 (where k is the spring constant).
This is the work done on the object as the spring decompresses? Or for the entire slide up the incline? Show how you arrived at this number. (Give the equations and what you used for the variables.)

The equation I used for the work done BY the spring is 1/2k(Xi^2 - Xf^2). The initial position I put -.15m and the final position 0. So, 1/2k(-.15^2 - 0) is the work done by the spring, which i got .01125 k. For the work done by gravity I used W=Fs cos(theta). Which turned out to be (9.8)*(.025)*cos(90+50)*cos(180)*60. So the work done by gravity is -11.3 J. The cos(90+50) is the angle between the displacement and the force. AH! as I'm typing this I realized I put 60m as the distance of the strip and forgot to convert to cm. I'm going to recalculate. Can someone get an answer that I can confirm with?

I recalculated and got 35.6 N/m for the spring constant.

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done by the net force on an object equals the change in kinetic energy of the object. In other words, the net work done on an object will result in a change in its motion, either by increasing or decreasing its speed.

2. How is the work-energy theorem related to projectile motion?

The work-energy theorem is closely related to projectile motion because it explains the changes in the kinetic energy of a projectile as it moves through the air. The initial kinetic energy of the projectile is converted into gravitational potential energy as it rises, and then back into kinetic energy as it falls. This conversion is in accordance with the work-energy theorem.

3. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to all types of motion as long as there is a net force acting on the object. It is a general principle that can be used to analyze the motion of objects in various scenarios, including projectile motion, rotational motion, and simple harmonic motion.

4. How is the work-energy theorem useful in real-life situations?

The work-energy theorem has many practical applications in real-life situations. For instance, it can be used to analyze the motion of a roller coaster or a car on a hill. It can also be used to calculate the energy needed to lift an object to a certain height or to determine the speed of a projectile at a given point in its trajectory.

5. Is the work-energy theorem always true?

Yes, the work-energy theorem is a fundamental principle of physics and is always true. It is based on the conservation of energy, which is a fundamental law of nature. However, it is important to note that the work-energy theorem assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately describe real-world situations due to factors such as air resistance and friction.