1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work/force/kinematics slingshot problem

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. An average force of 8.2 newtons is used to pull a .4 kg rock, stretching a sling shot 43 centimeters. The rock is shot downward from a bridge 18 meters above a stream. What will be the velocity of the rock just before it hits the water? How much time will it take to hit the water.

2. Relevant equations

3. I just want to know if the spring/work equation, .5k(x)squared=w applies to the slingshot, and would stretching it by 43 CM = the x part of the equation? I don't know what to do once I get work. How do i get the velocity of the rock? I know A after shot would be 9.8, d is 18, but is final Velocity 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

It does apply, and yes. The spring PE is converted to KE. That's how you get the velocity. Final velocity nowhere is zero.

4. Mar 6, 2008 #3
    Ok, so I put in the force*the distance it was pulled back to get the potential sling shot energy. I than set that equal to the KE equation and got V. Than I simply used that V as V0, used 9.8 as A, and 18 m as D, than solved for V1. Is this correct?

5. Mar 7, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Absolutely. You find the time using the same kinematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?