Work function of conservative forces

In summary: This means that if the potential energy changes by a certain amount, the work function will also change by the same amount. This is due to the conservation of energy, as any change in potential energy must be balanced by a change in another type of energy (in this case, work function). This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of escleronomic systems subjected to conservative forces.
Eduardo Ascenso
Could anyone help me with the following questions?

- Why is the work done by conservative forces equivalent to the potential energy?
- Why is the variation of the potential energy in such cases equals to the variation of the work function?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question? You should ask this question in the appropriate forum then.

Likes vanhees71
The answer is conservation of energy. Whenever potential energy increases with force, a change in other types of energy must occur to balance everything out. The amount that potential energy increases is the same as the amount the kinetic energy increase.

Thank you for your reply. This is not a homework. I'm studying the conservation of energy in escleronomic systems subjected to conservative forces. All the books I've read only said that in such cases we have "-dV = dU", but they don't give any explanation about it. Searching a little bit, I saw that work function is the minimum energy necessary to remove an electron from the surface of a solid into the vacuum. What I didn't get is what's the relation between the removal of electrons and the variation of potential energy.

Eduardo Ascenso said:
Could anyone help me with the following questions?

- Why is the work done by conservative forces equivalent to the potential energy?
- Why is the variation of the potential energy in such cases equals to the variation of the work function?

Thanks!
Look at the definition of potential energy. How is the potential energy defined, mathematically?
And is not equivalence but equality, with the right sign.

The second part is not correct. The variation of potential energy may be equal to the work function (not its variation).

1. What is the definition of work function in relation to conservative forces?

The work function of conservative forces is the amount of work required to move an object from one point to another in a conservative force field. It is dependent on the initial and final positions of the object and does not depend on the path taken between the two points.

2. How is the work function of conservative forces calculated?

The work function of conservative forces is calculated by taking the negative of the change in potential energy between the initial and final positions of the object. This can be represented by the equation W = -ΔU, where W is the work function and ΔU is the change in potential energy.

3. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Examples of conservative forces include gravity, electric forces, and magnetic forces. These forces exhibit properties such as path independence and the ability to do work without any energy loss.

4. How does the work function of conservative forces relate to the conservation of energy principle?

The work function of conservative forces is directly related to the conservation of energy principle. This principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The work function of conservative forces represents the transfer of potential energy into kinetic energy, while conserving the total energy of the system.

5. How does the work function of conservative forces differ from that of non-conservative forces?

The main difference between the work function of conservative and non-conservative forces is that the work function of conservative forces is independent of the path taken, while the work function of non-conservative forces is dependent on the path. Additionally, the work function of non-conservative forces includes energy losses due to factors such as friction, while the work function of conservative forces does not.