Work-mechanical energy: box sliding

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a 1.7 N force is applied to a 5.6 kg block at a downward angle of 49°, causing the block to move rightward across a frictionless floor for a distance of 1.4 m. The question asks for the final speed of the block under different initial conditions. The equations used to solve the problem include work-energy theorem and kinematics equations. The mistake was made in using the vertical component of the force instead of the horizontal component.
mamii92

Homework Statement

In Figure 7-47a, a 1.7 N force is applied to a 5.6 kg block at a downward angle θ = 49° as the block moves rightward through 1.4 m across a frictionless floor. Find the speed vf of the block at the end of that distance if the block's initial velocity is (a) 0 and (b) 1.3 m/s to the right. (c) The situation in Figure 7-47b is similar in that the block is initially moving at 1.3 m/s to the right, but now the 1.7 N force is directed downward to the left. Find the speed vf of the block at the end of the 1.4 m distance.

[the figure is showing a box with the force directed 40 degrees below the horizontal to the right. kind of like a clock pointing to 4 oclock)

Homework Equations

w=F.d
w= mvf^2/2 -mvi^2/2
Vf^2 -Vi^2 = 2ad
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this question using both kinematics equations and work mechanical energy theorem and i am getting the same answer but they are both wrong.

First, for a) Vi=0 so i used the equation Vf^ = 2ad.
to find a, i used the equation a= F/m, where F would be Fsintheta.= 1.283006286
so a= 1.283006286 / 5.6 = 0.229108265 m/s^2

thus, Vf = sprt.(2 x 0.229108265 x 1.4)=0.800938913 m/

I also used w= f.d which gave 1.7962088 J
then equating w=mvf^2/2, and Vf is still 0.800938913 m/s?
someone please help me finding out where i went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate either the work or the horizontal acceleration, you need the horizontal component of the force. How do you get it?

ehild

OH okay. i think the mistake was that i was using the vertical component fsintheta rather than the horizontal Fcostheta

1. What is work-mechanical energy?

Work-mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is work-mechanical energy calculated?

The work-mechanical energy of an object can be calculated using the equation E = KE + PE, where E is the total mechanical energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy.

3. What is the relationship between work-mechanical energy and box sliding?

In the context of box sliding, work-mechanical energy refers to the energy exerted by the box due to its motion. This energy is converted from the potential energy of the box at rest to the kinetic energy as it slides.

4. How does friction affect work-mechanical energy in box sliding?

Friction can have a significant impact on work-mechanical energy in box sliding. It acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing the box to lose energy to heat and slowing it down.

5. Can work-mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, work-mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or electrical energy. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.