1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work of a car's engine as it moves up a slope

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car of mass 900 kg accelerates up a slope. The velocity of the car at the bottom of the slope is 5 m/s. By the time the car reaches the top of the slope, its velocity is 15 m/s. The slope is 8m high from the ground and has a length (radius - angled length - not base) of 500m. The average frictional force experienced by the car between A and B is 50N.

Calculate: The total work done by the car's engine between the bottom and top of the slope.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    m = mass in kilograms
    a = acceleration in m/s
    F = force in newtons
    W = F x s
    s = distance
    W = work
    3. The attempt at a solution

I am quite at a loss with this question but this is my attempt.
    Fbottom = m x a = 900 x 5 = 4500N

Work (bottom) = f x s
    = 4500 x 500 (slope is 500m)
    = 2250000J

Ftop = F x ma
    = 900 x 15
    = 13500N
    Work (top) = f x s
    = 135000 x 500
    = 6750000J

W (top) - W (bottom) = 450000J

I am sure that my answer is incorrect but I am unsure as to how to solve it and the memo is missing the answer, any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the n00b question! :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

There is a typo here somewhere, you mean its velocity is 15m/s?

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3
    Yeah, sorry about that!

5. Aug 21, 2012 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

It is difficult to follow your solution because you have inputted velocities in place of accelerations.
    I think this is meant to be solved using the work-energy theorem, but also incorporating the effects of an external force, ie friction, so; [tex] W = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 + F_f d = ΔK.E + F_f d, [/tex] where [itex] F_f [/itex] is the force of friction.

6. Aug 22, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't forget the gain in PE as well as KE?

7. Aug 22, 2012 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

In taking into account the change in potential energy, i believe we add on, to the eqn above;
    [tex] W = \vec{F}.\vec{d} = mgdcos(90 +θ) = -mgdsinθ [/tex]

Apologies for forgetting that earlier, I must have done the problem ignoring the incline!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook