Work of a Line integral correction please

In summary, the conversation involved calculating the work of two line integrals in a given vector field. The first curve had a value of 7/6 and the second curve had a value of 121/60. There was some discussion and correction regarding the calculation for the first curve, and ultimately it was determined that the correct value was 3/2.
Bibhatsu

Homework Statement

Compute the Work of the following line integrals in the vector field [tex]\vec{V}=(2x^{2}-3y;4xy;3x^{2}z) [/tex]

Homework Equations

For the following lines:

Curve1: [tex]\vec{r}(a)=(a,a,a^{2}); \ 0\le a \le 1[/tex]

Curve2: [tex]\vec{r}(a)=(a,a^{2},a); \ 0\le a \le 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first Curve I got [tex]\frac{7}{6} [/tex] and for the second one [tex] \frac{121}{60} [/tex].

Is this correct?Thank you in advance

Bibhatsu

Physics news on Phys.org
I did the calculation quickly, but I got 3/2 for the first one.
Can you maybe show a little more work?

CompuChip said:
I did the calculation quickly, but I got 3/2 for the first one.
I got 3/2 also.

Hey guys, so the second one is correct ? This is the integral I figured for the first one:

[tex] \int _{0}^{1} -3a+2a^{2}+4a^{3}+6a^{5}da=\frac{7}{6} [/tex]Edit: there should be an integral symbol in front of the [tex]_{0}^{1} [/tex], seems it won't render. Sorry! Thanks for your feedbackBibhatsu

4xy = 4a2 when x=a and y=a.

The integral should be:

[tex]\int _{0}^{1} -3a+2a^{2}+4a^{2}+6a^{5}\,da[/tex]

(To see the result of editing a Latex expression, press the Browser's reload icon after pressing the Preview Changes button.)

Last edited:
Hello,I see my mistake.Thank you. Greetings

Bibhatsu

Hello,

I see my mistake.

Thank you.

Greetings

Bibhatsu

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that is used to calculate the total of a function along a curve or line. It is also known as a path integral.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a line integral calculates the total of a function along a curve. This means that a line integral takes into account the direction of the curve, while a regular integral does not.

3. What is the purpose of a line integral?

Line integrals are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to calculate work, flux, and arc length, among other things. They are also used to solve problems involving vector fields.

4. How is a line integral calculated?

To calculate a line integral, the curve or line is broken down into small segments, and the function is evaluated at each point. The values are then multiplied by the length of each segment and added together. This process becomes more accurate as the segments get smaller.

5. What is a line integral correction?

A line integral correction is used to adjust for errors or inaccuracies in the calculation of the line integral. This can be done by using more accurate methods of calculating the integral or by adjusting the segments used in the calculation. Line integral corrections are important to ensure the accuracy of the final result.