1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work of isothermal compression at constant pressure

1. Sep 26, 2015 #1
    The Problem:

A 1.80 mol sample of an ideal gas is compressed isothermally from 58.1 L to 15.6 L using a constant external pressure of 2.72 atm .

Calculate W:

Calculate Q:

Calculate ΔU:

Attempt at solution:

I tried W = P(ΔV) to no effect, W = nRTln[Vf/Vi] to no effect. The online submission form tells me if the sign is wrong so I know that the numbers I got from these two equations are not correct as if they were and the sign was wrong it would have told me. I used 273K as T since T is not given.

Any help would be appreciated. Due at midnight and friends have all remained oddly out of contact.

I can't go for Q and U until I figure out the first part.

Thanks,

Colton

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2015 #2
    Well, if the external force per unit area is held constant at 2.72 atm, the work should be PΔV = -115.6 liter-atm. What units do they want the answer in?

If the initial and final temperatures of an ideal gas are the same (isothermal), what is ΔU?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook