Energy seems to disappear when gas is compressed?

• B
  • Thread starter Wazza
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a home project involving compressing gas and retrieving the stored energy at a later date. The individual is trying to model the idealized situation assuming zero losses but is having trouble with the equations. They are then given advice on how to correctly calculate the energy and work done during adiabatic compression. The conversation also addresses the difference between isothermal and adiabatic processes and the use of the first law of thermodynamics.
Wazza
TL;DR Summary
Trying to find the right equations which described the energy transfer when compressing a gas.
Hi there,

I am working on a home project which involves compressing a gas and then retrieving the stored energy at a later date. Obviously in a real world scenario the recovered energy will be less than the energy it takes to compress the gas, due to system losses. However as a starting point I am trying to model the idealised situation, assuming zero losses, and am having trouble making the equations stack up. I was initially misled by isothermal equations and have now learned the difference between adiabatic and isothermal. Still, when I perform the seemingly trivial calculations, energy seems to be disappearing.

It may be simplest if I describe my question using an example.

My starting point is a belief in the first law of thermodynamics : energy cannot be created nor destroyed, in a closed system it is simply transferred from one state to another.

Suppose I have chamber which is perfectly insulated and fully sealed except for an opening for a piston which seals perfectly and is frictionless.
The chamber is full of air which starts off at atmospheric pressure.
Work is done to push the piston down which compresses the air inside the chamber.
As far as I know; Work = (the transfer of) Energy.
So the increase in energy in the gas in the chamber should equal the work done to compress it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's say

Chamber is 2000 litres = 2 m^3
Piston plate is 1 m^2
Piston plate moves by 500 mm = 0.5m (down, i.e. compression)
Air inside is air pressure to start with = 101325 kPa
Temperature is 25C
Air can be thought of as an ideal diatomic gas with gamma = 1.4Energy in the chamber (to start with) is pressure x volume
= 101,325 Pa x 2 m^3
= 202,650 Joules constant = pressure x volume^gamma
= 101,325 x 2^1.4
= 267,398.3Final volume
= initial volume - (piston plate area x piston plate movement)
= 1.5 m^3 Final pressure = constant / volume_end^gamma
= 267,398.3 / (1.5^1.4)
= 151,576.14Energy in the chamber (to end with) is pressure x volume
= 151,576.14 Pa x 1.5 m^3
= 227,364.2 Joules Energy increase in the gas =
227,364 - 202,650 = 24,714work done pushing the piston = average pressure x change in volume
= 1/2(P2 + P1)(V2 - V1)

= 1/2 (151,576.14 + 101,325) (2.0 - 1.5)
= 126,450.6 x 0.5
= 63,225.3 Joules

So, the work done (63,225 Joules) is much greater than the energy increase in the gas (24,714 Joules).

Where has the energy gone ??

I note that gamma of 1.4 is an empirical value for a diatomic gas. If I arbitrarily fiddle this value to be 2.044 then I can make the energy equation balance, but arbitrarily fiddling values is not good physics. What am I missing ?

Please note that this question is not about what happens in the the real world. I am trying to start by modeling an idealised situation so that I can understand the basic physics. Once I have that, I can then start introducing losses and real world considerations.

Can anybody please tell which of my calculations are incorrect and what the right calculations should be ?

Science news on Phys.org
Wazza said:
Energy in the chamber (to start with) is pressure x volume

No it's not. It's nCvT (for ideal gas). Also, regarding the work - average pressure need not mean arithmetic average. It is only if pressure changed linearly.

Wazza said:
Energy in the chamber (to start with) is pressure x volume
= 101,325 Pa x 2 m^3
= 202,650 Joules
You are considering a diatomic ideal gas, so the internal energy is
$$
U = \frac{5}{2} PV
$$

Wazza said:
work done pushing the piston = average pressure x change in volume
= 1/2(P2 + P1)(V2 - V1)

= 1/2 (151,576.14 + 101,325) (2.0 - 1.5)
= 126,450.6 x 0.5
= 63,225.3 Joules
This equation works if the pressure changes linearly, which is not true for adiabatic compression. You have to calculate
$$
W = - \int_{V_i}^{V_f} P \, dV
$$
In order to save oneself the trouble of calculating this integral, one usually actually uses the first law to calculate work along an adiabat as ##W = - \Delta U##.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That has put me on the right track now and I can make the equations balance !

Likes berkeman

1. What causes energy to disappear when gas is compressed?

When gas is compressed, the molecules are forced closer together, resulting in a decrease in volume. This process requires work to be done on the gas, which is converted into potential energy. As a result, the kinetic energy of the gas molecules decreases, making it seem like energy has disappeared.

2. Does the energy disappear completely when gas is compressed?

No, the energy does not disappear completely. It is converted into potential energy, which is stored in the compressed gas. This energy can be released when the gas expands back to its original volume.

3. Is the disappearance of energy in compressed gas a violation of the law of conservation of energy?

No, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. In the case of compressed gas, the energy is converted into potential energy and is still present in the system.

4. Can the disappearing energy in compressed gas be recovered?

Yes, the energy can be recovered when the compressed gas expands back to its original volume. This can be achieved by allowing the gas to expand naturally or by doing work on the gas, such as using it to power an engine.

5. Does the temperature of compressed gas affect the disappearance of energy?

Yes, the temperature of compressed gas does affect the disappearance of energy. When gas is compressed, its temperature increases due to the increase in pressure. This increase in temperature results in an increase in the internal energy of the gas, which contributes to the potential energy stored in the compressed gas.