Work out entropy change of the universe

In summary, the block loses thermal energy as it falls, and as it hits the water it gains thermal energy.
bon

Homework Statement

A block mass 400g thermal capacity 150J/K at 10 degrees C is dropped from a height of 100m into a lake at 10 degrees C. Work out entropy change of the universe.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to do this one..I guess we work out entropy change of block and lake separately, but i don't know how to begin..

entropy delta S = integral dQ/T... what do i do :S ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than going straight for the equations, consider what happens in the problem. Does heating or cooling occur? Are there other types of energy transfer? Are the processes reversible? Can you make any simplifying assumptions?

Well...isn't it the case that as the block falls it loses PE therefore at point of contact with the water, we can model its temp as being 2.616K higher..

So is the entropy change of the block 1/283 C (285.616 - 283) ?

It's just that i keep getting the wrong answer..

What if you just calculate the entropy change when the kinetic energy is added to the lake?

then i get the right answer..

Please explain. I am really confused.

my attempt: as it falls, block loses PE, gains KE. As it strikes water, block loses KE gains thermal energy. Not block is at temp higher than 10 degrees C. Therefore block cools and lake heats up a tiny bit.. Therefore we need to calculate entropy change for both block and lake and add them...

what's the correct explanation?

The block hits the lake, and both are at 10°C. The kinetic energy is transformed entirely and irreversibly into thermal energy. But the lake is relatively large, so the temperature change is negligible. Thus, the entropy change is just mgh/T.

why is the entropy change of the block = 0? Doesn't it lose thermal energy?

bon said:
why is the entropy change of the block = 0? Doesn't it lose thermal energy?

The block starts and ends at 10°C.

ok thanks i see now

PS if you are hot on your thermal phys please look here also: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=447675

Also - what difference does it make in calculations of entropy if heat is transferred reversibly or irreversibly?

What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a thermodynamic property that can be used to determine the direction and magnitude of energy flow in a system.

How is entropy change of the universe calculated?

The entropy change of the universe is calculated by adding the entropy changes of all the individual systems within the universe. This can be a complex calculation and often requires advanced mathematical models.

Why is the entropy change of the universe important?

The entropy change of the universe is important because it reflects the overall trend towards disorder and randomness in the universe. It also helps us understand the direction and efficiency of energy transformations within the universe.

Can the entropy change of the universe be reversed?

No, the entropy change of the universe cannot be reversed. The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy always increases in a closed system. While individual systems may experience temporary decreases in entropy, the overall entropy of the universe will always increase.

How does the entropy change of the universe relate to the concept of heat death?

The concept of heat death suggests that eventually, all energy in the universe will be evenly distributed, resulting in a state of maximum entropy. This is often used to describe the ultimate fate of the universe, as all energy transformations will have ceased and no work can be done. The entropy change of the universe is closely tied to this concept as it represents the gradual increase in disorder and randomness that will ultimately lead to the state of heat death.