1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work required to take object from planet to infinity

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A terrestrial creature with mass m = 100kg to is standing on a planet the same size as our moon

1.) what is the gravitational acceleration on the surface of this planet ? Ag = GM/R^2 = 1.63 m/s

2.) work required to take creature off of planets surface and into space ?
    2. Relevant equations
    R = 1.74x10^6
    M = 7.36x10^22
    m = 100kg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to start, please help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2
    It's not to infinity, it's enough to take him away where the gravitationnal field won't do so much, and i think (maybe) W = F.s will
    F is just equal to gravitationnal force on the creature,

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3
    But one has to take into consideration that as the distance s is increasing, the force F is decreasing.

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
    Alright, so I'm thinking that I'll need to multiply the gravitational force by a certain distance and that's it, I'm not working with integrals or anything in this course, but the question asks for me to calculate work needed to send the object to infinity, which is pretty ambiguous. It also says that it just needs to be out of the gravitational pull, like you said ^^^. I don't understand what distance I can apply.

6. Apr 19, 2015 #5
    If integration is not to be used, then one can use the idea of 'gravitational potential'.

7. Apr 19, 2015 #6
    Oh, but it is. Jesse, you need an equation to represent the gravitational potential energy of the creature at the surface of the planet. That shouldn't be too difficult to find if you don't know it off the top of your head.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted