1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work to move charges from Infinity to origin

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Eight 3.0 μC charges are located at the corners of a unit cube centered about the origin with 1mm edges. How much work does it take to bring a 5.0 μC charge from infinity to the origin?

2. Relevant equations

U= k*q1*q2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

r= ((1*10^-3)^2+(1*10^-3)^2+(1*10^-3)^2))^(1/2)m
    =1.73*10^-3m

U=(9*10^9)*(3*10^-6)*(5*10^-6)*8 / (1.73*10^-3)
    =623.54 J

U at Infinite = 0

Work = 623.54 J

I have tried to explain why I have simply multiplied one result by 8 below.

The charge will have to have some path to get to the center of the cube and as a result there will be some time where it will be closer to some charges(a) than 1.73*10^-3m which would require more work to move the charge(b) closer than this. This extra work will be counter-acted as there will be negative work equal to this for the charge(b) to move away from the charge(a) once again.

Ok so this is the answer that I have obtained, unfortunately this is not one of the multiple choice options available. So I am not confident that I have completed the problem correctly, any feedback would be most welcomed.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The cube is centered about the origin. How far is the centre of a cube from the corners?

ehild

4. Aug 15, 2010 #3
    Eight 3.0 μC charges are located at the corners of a "unit cube centered about the origin with 1mm edges"

r= ((1*10^-3)^2+(1*10^-3)^2+(1*10^-3)^2))^(1/2)m
    =1.73*10^-3m

Wouldn't that be the distance?

5. Aug 15, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Make a picture. What does it mean "centered about the origin? "

ehild

6. Aug 15, 2010 #5
    Ok I think I have seen where I have made the mistake, thank you for your 'guidance' :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook