1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working out a formula for 2 variables?

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    Hi Folks,

I'm working through a pre-selection maths course and have come to a complete halt with the following Differentiation problem:-

" If the strength of a rectangular beam of wood varies as its breadth and the square of its depth, find the dimensions of the strongest beam that can be cut out of a round log, diameter d. "

It's the only problem in the notes that has more than 1 variable and no example to show how its done.

Here's what I've come up with so far....
    S varies with Breadth, therefore S=kB
    S varies with Depth^2, therefore S=kD^2
    S=kBD^2
    The derivative of a constant term = 0

If I could work out the formula I think I'd be ok, but I'm completely at a loss for what to do next.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and sorry it's a little basic.

Shipscat

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: Can you related B and D to d?

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3
    Hi Hootenanny,

I think I tried this last night, I came up with

B=d-2x
    D=d-2y
    therefore S=(d-2x)(d-2y)(d-2y)

Still with 2 variables. I'm assuming x and y cannot be equal as the problems states a rectangular beam.

Am I along the right lines or 90 degrees to them?

5. Jan 29, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your on the right lines. Draw yourself a semi-circle, mark on your diameter together with B and 1/2D as chords. Now, join the two endpoints of B and 1/2D with a further chord. Now, what is the maximum size of this chord?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  6. Jan 29, 2008 #5
    I'm really, Really sorry Hootenanny, I was right with you up until " together with 1/2B and 1/2D as chords. " Where on the semi-circle should I be marking the chords? Do you mean 1/2 Breadth or 1/2 the distance from the edge of the beam to the circle?

I'm sorry to seem so dumb, but I really am dumb.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?