Working out temperatures on an ideal brayton cycle.

• Thread starter beeohbee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle
In summary, the conversation discusses an ideal Brayton cycle with a pressure ratio of 15 and air standard cycle assumptions. The gas temperature at the compressor inlet is 300K and at the turbine inlet is 1500K. The compressor and turbine are considered to be isentropic. The conversation also mentions relevant equations and the attempt at finding the temperature at the end of the compressor. The heat capacity ratio is found to be 1.4 for air, which is used to calculate the temperature at the end of the compressor. Finally, there is a question about the equations for efficiency, work done, and losses in the Brayton cycle and using a backwards model to determine the required gas turbine capacity.
beeohbee

Homework Statement

An ideal Brayton cycle has a pressure ratio of 15 and can be analysed using air standard cycle assumptions. The gas temperature is 300K at the compressor inlet and 1500K at the turbine inlet.

The compressor and turbine can be considered to be isentropic.
For an isentropic process,[tex]pv^{\gamma}[/tex] = constant.

Work out the temperature at the end of the compressor.

Homework Equations

[tex]P_{1}[/tex] [tex]V_{1}^{\gamma}[/tex] = [tex]P_{2}[/tex][tex]V_{2}^ {\gamma}[/tex]

[tex]P_{1}[/tex] [tex]V_{1}[/tex] = [tex]R T_{1}[/tex]

[tex]P_{2}[/tex] [tex]V_{2}[/tex] = [tex]R T_{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sketched the cycle on a t-s property diagram to illustrate the problem.

From the relevant equations, I have that:

[tex]T_{2} = T_{1}(\frac{P_{2}}{P_{1}})^{\gamma - 1/ \gamma}[/tex]

Which gives me, [tex]T_{2} = 300.15^{\gamma - 1/ \gamma}[/tex]

I have [tex]T_{1}[/tex] = 300 and the pressure ratio = 15 but I see no way to complete the equation as I don't know the heat capacity ratio, [tex]{\gamma}[/tex] or a way to work it out.

Attachments

• tsdiagram.jpg
    tsdiagram.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
I've now found that the heat capacity ratio is a constant and for this question is 1.4. I don't know why this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the question or my textbooks but a lot of googling came up with the answer in the end.

By using gamma=1.4, T2 comes out as 650K. :)

Yea I was reading this and thinking the exact thing...the heat capacity ratio is 1.4 for air...easy after that

hey do you guys know what the equations for efficiency, work done and losses are within the brayton cycle. I am trying to do a backwards model starting from the size of electrical generator I need and thus working towards what capacity gas turbine, pressure ratio and inlet temp I should have

Thanks

I would suggest using the ideal gas law to find the heat capacity ratio, {\gamma}. The ideal gas law states that PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. Rearranging this equation, we can find the heat capacity ratio, {\gamma}, by using the equation {\gamma} = CP/CV, where CP is the specific heat at constant pressure and CV is the specific heat at constant volume. By using the ideal gas law and known values for P, V, and T, we can solve for {\gamma} and then use it in the equation T_{2} = T_{1}(\frac{P_{2}}{P_{1}})^{\gamma - 1/ \gamma} to find the temperature at the end of the compressor. Additionally, we can also use the specific heat values for air to find the heat capacity ratio and then use it in the equation. This will provide a more accurate solution for the temperature at the end of the compressor. It is important to use all available information and equations to accurately solve for the desired temperature.

1. What is an ideal Brayton cycle?

An ideal Brayton cycle is a thermodynamic cycle used in gas turbine engines to convert heat energy into mechanical work. It consists of four processes: isentropic compression, constant pressure heat addition, isentropic expansion, and constant pressure heat rejection. It is a theoretical model that assumes no losses or inefficiencies.

2. How is temperature calculated on an ideal Brayton cycle?

The temperature at different points on an ideal Brayton cycle can be calculated using the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) and the isentropic process equation (T2/T1 = (P2/P1)^((gamma-1)/gamma)). The values for pressure and temperature at the beginning and end of each process are needed to calculate the temperature at that point.

3. What factors affect temperatures on an ideal Brayton cycle?

The temperatures on an ideal Brayton cycle are affected by the specific heat ratio (gamma) of the gas, the pressure and temperature at the inlet, and the compressor and turbine efficiencies. Any losses or inefficiencies in the cycle will also affect the temperatures.

4. How can the efficiency of an ideal Brayton cycle be improved?

The efficiency of an ideal Brayton cycle can be improved by increasing the compressor and turbine efficiencies, increasing the specific heat ratio of the gas, and reducing any losses or inefficiencies in the cycle. Additionally, using intercooling and reheating can also improve the efficiency of the cycle.

5. What are the limitations of using an ideal Brayton cycle to calculate temperatures?

The ideal Brayton cycle is a theoretical model and does not account for losses or inefficiencies that are present in real gas turbine engines. It also assumes that the working fluid is an ideal gas, which may not always be the case. Therefore, the calculated temperatures may not accurately reflect the actual temperatures in a real engine.