Working out the shunt resistance for a galvanometer circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a shunt and a galvanometer in parallel. The individual has attempted to draw the setup and has identified two equations but is unsure how to use them to find the resistance of the shunt. They receive clarification that the shunt should be in parallel, not in series, and that the voltage of the cell should not be set equal. The individual then suggests using Kirchhoff's 2nd law to help solve the problem and calculates a shunt resistance of 20 ohms.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Find shunt resistance
Relevant Equations
Ohm's law
Here is the problem

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 14.24.02.png

I have tried to draw the set up for both cases which the question had described above, and came to these 2 equations. But I can't see how it would help me to work out the resistance of the shunt?

IMG_3807.JPG

Any help would be really great! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The shunt should be in parallel with the galvanometer, not in series. See here.

Likes etotheipi
kuruman said:
The shunt should be in parallel with the galvanometer, not in series. See here.

Ok I have made the changes to set up 1 and get these equations now

IMG_3808.JPG

How are ##I## and/or ##I_g## in part 1 related to ##I## in part 2?

kuruman said:
How are ##I## and/or ##I_g## in part 1 related to ##I## in part 2?

Sorry I believe the I value in part 1 to be different to the I value in part 2?

To go about this question, I know that the voltage of the cell stays fixed in both cases. So could I find an expression for V in both part 1 and 2. Then equate them and solve for R_sh (the shunt resistance). I don't think this would be right as I would have more than 1 unknown there

Bolter said:
Sorry I believe the I value in part 1 to be different to the I value in part 2?

To go about this question, I know that the voltage of the cell stays fixed in both cases. So could I find an expression for V in both part 1 and 2. Then equate them and solve for R_sh (the shunt resistance). I don't think this would be right as I would have more than 1 unknown there
It's not the voltages that you should set equal. Reread the sentence that starts with "When the shunt is removed ..."

kuruman said:
It's not the voltages that you should set equal. Reread the sentence that starts with "When the shunt is removed ..."

OK I have had the time to rethink about this problem again. And I have redrawn the circuits again. This time I made use of Kirchhoff's 2nd law to help me

IMG_3810.JPG

I got a shunt resistance of 20 ohms here?

That's what I got.

Likes Bolter

1. What is a shunt resistance in a galvanometer circuit?

A shunt resistance is a resistor that is placed in parallel with a galvanometer in order to increase its sensitivity and range. It is used to divert some of the current away from the galvanometer, allowing for a larger current to flow through the circuit and produce a larger deflection on the galvanometer scale.

2. Why is it important to calculate the shunt resistance for a galvanometer circuit?

Calculating the shunt resistance is important because it allows us to determine the amount of current that will flow through the galvanometer and how much will be diverted through the shunt resistor. This is necessary for accurate measurements and to prevent damage to the galvanometer.

3. How is the shunt resistance calculated for a galvanometer circuit?

The shunt resistance can be calculated using the formula Rshunt = (Rg/Ig) - Rg, where Rg is the resistance of the galvanometer and Ig is the desired current through the galvanometer. The result is the resistance of the shunt resistor that should be placed in parallel with the galvanometer.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a shunt resistance for a galvanometer circuit?

When selecting a shunt resistance, it is important to consider the desired current through the galvanometer, the resistance of the galvanometer, and the range of the galvanometer scale. It is also important to choose a shunt resistor with a low temperature coefficient to ensure accurate measurements.

5. Can the shunt resistance be adjusted in a galvanometer circuit?

Yes, the shunt resistance can be adjusted in a galvanometer circuit to change the sensitivity and range of the galvanometer. This can be done by changing the value of the shunt resistor or by using multiple shunt resistors in parallel to achieve different levels of current diversion.