Working with the inverses of composite functions

In summary, you are trying to prove that (g o f)-1(A)=f-1(g-1(A)). You are given that x ε f-1(g-1(A)), and you want to show that this implies x ε (g o f)-1(A). You write out the two expressions in terms of the x's and y's, and then show that the two expressions are the same.
Esran
Let f:X->Y and g:Y->Z be functions. Suppose A is a subset of Z. I'm wondering whether (g o f)-1(A)=f-1(g-1(A)).

I'm lost as to where to go with this problem. I know I need to do something using images, but manipulating the inverses of composite functions is proving to be very confusing; I don't know how to properly translate these functions into terms that match up with my definitions, which are as follows:

1) Let f:X->Y be a function: for a subset A of X, the set f(A)={y in Y: y=f(x) for some x in A}.

2) For a subset C of Y, the set f-1(C) = {x in X: f(x) is in C}.

Can you please point me in the right direction? I'm sure that if I could just grasp how to prove this theorem, I'd understand inverses so much better.

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Esran said:
Let f:X->Y and g:Y->Z be functions. Suppose A is a subset of Z. I'm wondering whether (g o f)-1(A)=f-1(g-1(A)).

Hi Esran! :smile:

(have an exists: ∃ and an in/epsilon: ε :smile:)

Hint: x ε f-1(g-1(A))

means ∃ y ε g-1(A) with f(y) = x

means ∃ z ε A with … ? :smile:

x ε f-1(g-1(A))

means ∃ y ε g-1(A) with f(y) = x (shouldn't this be f-1(y) = x?)

means ∃ z ε A with g(y) = z.

I need to show that somehow, the above implies x ε (g o f)-1(A), and vice versa.

So, x ε (g o f)-1(A)

means ∃ z ε A with (g o f)(x) = z or g(f(x)) = z?

means ∃ y ε f(x) with g(y) = z?

I'm lost again on how to translate this statement. What do I do when the inverse is on the outside of a composite function?

Last edited:
Esran said:
x ε f-1(g-1(A))

means ∃ y ε g-1(A) with f(y) = x (shouldn't this be f-1(y) = x?)

oops! :redface:

yes … I meant to type: f(x) = y. :smile:
means ∃ z ε A with g(y) = z.

I need to show that somehow, the above implies x ε (g o f)-1(A), and vice versa.

So, x ε (g o f)-1(A)

means ∃ z ε A with (g o f)(x) = z or g(f(x)) = z?

That's right! :smile:, just stop there

you have two expressions, (g o f)-1(A) and f-1(g-1(A)), and you want to prove that they're the same.

So you rewrite each in the form "given x ε …"

You have:
i] ∃ z ε A with g(f(x)) = z

ii] ∃ y ε g-1(A) with y = f(x)
and ∃ z ε A with g(y) = z

Don't you see, that once you write it out clearly like that, you have the answer? :wink:

Alright! I see it now. Thank you. :smile:

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a function that is formed by combining two or more functions, where the output of one function becomes the input of the next function. It is denoted as f(g(x)), where g(x) is the inner function and f(x) is the outer function.

2. How do you find the inverse of a composite function?

To find the inverse of a composite function, you need to first find the inverse of the outer function, then substitute the inverse of the outer function into the inner function. This will give you the inverse of the composite function.

3. Why is it important to work with the inverses of composite functions?

Working with the inverses of composite functions allows us to find the original input value given the output of a composite function. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as solving for unknown variables in equations.

4. What are some properties of the inverses of composite functions?

The inverse of a composite function has the following properties:

• The domain of the composite function is the range of the inverse function.
  • The range of the composite function is the domain of the inverse function.
  • The composition of a composite function and its inverse function will always result in the input value.

5. Can the inverses of composite functions be simplified?

Yes, the inverses of composite functions can be simplified by using algebraic techniques, such as combining like terms and factoring. However, in some cases, the inverse function cannot be simplified further.