1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worthwhlie to Obtain Masters Before Phd

1. Jul 28, 2014 #1
    I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get a masters in Physics, CS, or Electrical Engineering before I attempt to get a Phd in Physics.

My situation is this: I want to study/work in plasma physics research (specifically electric/plasma propulsion) for the rest of my life. The problem is my GPA is around a 3.1. I do have a bit of pedigree in my resume: consulted for a Claremont graduate school, worked for the R&D division of a biomedical company who normally only hires people with their masters/phd from elite colleges, co-ran a mobile software start-up, and did plasma physics research with a Cal State in conjunction with PPPL for about a year. I will also be graduating with a BS with majors in physics, computer science, and electrical engineering. I might have a couple of publications in Biomedical/Plasma Physics by the end of the year but that is questionable. I can explain my GPA with depression that ended up with me in the hospital a few times for trying to commit suicide but I would rather not have to use an excuse for my poor academic performance.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2014 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You should apply directly for a PhD program. Have you taken the test yet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook