Worthwhlie to Obtain Masters Before Phd

In summary: If not, I would recommend moving on to the PhD application as soon as possible because if you will not get accepted at PhD, you will automatically get pushed to the Masters program. In summary, the person is considering getting a masters in Physics, CS, or Electrical Engineering before attempting to get a PhD in Physics. They have a 3.1 GPA and want to work in plasma physics research. They have relevant experience and may have publications by the end of the year. They are considering explaining their GPA with depression but would rather not have to. The advice is to apply directly for a PhD program and move on to the application as soon as possible.
fauxMulder
I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get a masters in Physics, CS, or Electrical Engineering before I attempt to get a Phd in Physics.

My situation is this: I want to study/work in plasma physics research (specifically electric/plasma propulsion) for the rest of my life. The problem is my GPA is around a 3.1. I do have a bit of pedigree in my resume: consulted for a Claremont graduate school, worked for the R&D division of a biomedical company who normally only hires people with their masters/phd from elite colleges, co-ran a mobile software start-up, and did plasma physics research with a Cal State in conjunction with PPPL for about a year. I will also be graduating with a BS with majors in physics, computer science, and electrical engineering. I might have a couple of publications in Biomedical/Plasma Physics by the end of the year but that is questionable. I can explain my GPA with depression that ended up with me in the hospital a few times for trying to commit suicide but I would rather not have to use an excuse for my poor academic performance.

Any advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
fauxMulder said:
I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get a masters in Physics, CS, or Electrical Engineering before I attempt to get a Phd in Physics.

My situation is this: I want to study/work in plasma physics research (specifically electric/plasma propulsion) for the rest of my life. The problem is my GPA is around a 3.1. I do have a bit of pedigree in my resume: consulted for a Claremont graduate school, worked for the R&D division of a biomedical company who normally only hires people with their masters/phd from elite colleges, co-ran a mobile software start-up, and did plasma physics research with a Cal State in conjunction with PPPL for about a year. I will also be graduating with a BS with majors in physics, computer science, and electrical engineering. I might have a couple of publications in Biomedical/Plasma Physics by the end of the year but that is questionable. I can explain my GPA with depression that ended up with me in the hospital a few times for trying to commit suicide but I would rather not have to use an excuse for my poor academic performance.

Any advice is appreciated.

You should apply directly for a PhD program. Have you taken the test yet?

1. What is the benefit of obtaining a Masters degree before pursuing a PhD?

Obtaining a Masters degree before pursuing a PhD can provide several benefits. It allows you to gain a deeper understanding of your field and develop specialized skills that will be useful for your research in a PhD program. Additionally, having a Masters degree can make you more competitive in the job market and may open up more opportunities for funding and scholarships.

2. Will having a Masters degree increase my chances of being accepted into a PhD program?

In most cases, having a Masters degree can increase your chances of being accepted into a PhD program. This is because it shows that you have already completed graduate-level coursework and have a strong foundation in your field of study. However, admission requirements may vary between programs, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the PhD programs you are interested in.

3. Can I skip the Masters degree and go straight to a PhD?

In some cases, it is possible to go straight to a PhD program without obtaining a Masters degree. However, this is typically only an option for students who have completed an undergraduate degree in a related field and have extensive research experience. It is important to note that PhD programs are highly competitive and having a Masters degree may make you a more competitive applicant.

4. Will obtaining a Masters degree make my PhD program shorter?

In most cases, obtaining a Masters degree before pursuing a PhD will not make your PhD program shorter. This is because the coursework and research requirements for a PhD are typically separate from those of a Masters program. However, having a Masters degree may allow you to waive certain coursework requirements, giving you more time to focus on your research.

5. Can I transfer credits from my Masters program to a PhD program?

In some cases, it is possible to transfer credits from a Masters program to a PhD program. This is typically only an option if the courses taken in the Masters program are relevant to the PhD program and are of a similar level and rigor. It is important to check with the specific PhD program to see if they accept transfer credits and what their requirements are for transferring.