Would a falling object have jerk?

In summary: The physical constant of gravity, usually denoted by the Greek letter "g", is the fundamental physical constant of the International System of Units (SI). It is the strength of the gravitational force between two masses. The standard value of g is 9.8 m/s^2, but it can vary between different parts of the earth.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi guys! So I have been learning about jerk/jolt as the third time derivative of distance, and thinking about Newtons law of universal gravitation, and I have come to the conclusion that a falling object must have jerk, and even jounce. Here's how I came to that conclusion:
The acceleration of a falling object depends on the mass of the larger body (in this case earth) and the distance from the center of gravity. If an object is accelerating towards the earth, the distance from the center of gravity is changing, therefore changing the acceleration (probably a very minimal amount), which means there is jerk. Then, as the acceleration increases, the faster the object's distance from the center of gravity decreases, therefore changing the rate of change in acceleration, and giving the object jounce. It seems as if it could go on infinitely, like how the infinite derivative of an exponential function is not constant (that may be a really bad way of saying that but you know what I mean). Is this correct or am I missing something?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, and also, would that mean the constant 9.8 m/s^2 they teach us is not actually constant?

It is important to remember that the "constant" of 9.8m/s^2 only applies when you are near the surface of the earth, and that the farther away you are from earth, the weaker the gravity's pull as you can see from the equation:

F=G(m_1m_2)/r^2

Where G is the actual universal gravity constant and r is the radius between mass one and two. So as an object approaches the center of the earth, there is less force on that object, so you are correct in that regard. Also realize that just because you can continuously take the derivative of an object, does not necessarily give you more information.

Likes Isaac0427
Yes. The acceleration does change as an object falls toward the earth. So there is a jerk or whatever, the derivative of acceleration with respect to time, though that is not a particularly useful concept. The acceleration due to gravity when an object is close to the surface of the earth, given the symbol g, is indeed only approximately 9.8 m/s^2. It is not "really" a constant. For most problems, the difference from the usually written value is small enough not to matter. There also other reasons for the changes in g, reasons other than just the distance from the center of the earth. I refer you to any introductory textbook of physics for a discussion.

Likes Isaac0427
Isaac0427 said:
Is this correct or am I missing something?
In terms of coordinate acceleration in certain frames of reference, yes. But analyzing those higher derivatives is mainly relevant for proper acceleration, which is constant at zero in free fall.

Likes Isaac0427
OP - You might like to ponder what happens when a sky diver opens his parachute .

1. Would a falling object have jerk?

Yes, a falling object would experience jerk. Jerk is the rate of change of acceleration, and since an object in free fall is constantly accelerating due to gravity, it would also experience a change in acceleration, or jerk.

2. How is jerk related to the motion of a falling object?

Jerk is the third derivative of displacement with respect to time. This means that it is a measure of how quickly the acceleration of an object changes over time. Since a falling object is constantly accelerating due to the force of gravity, it will also experience jerk.

3. Is jerk the same as acceleration?

No, jerk is not the same as acceleration. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, while jerk is the rate of change of acceleration. They are related, but not the same.

4. Can jerk affect the speed of a falling object?

Yes, jerk can affect the speed of a falling object. If the object experiences a sudden change in acceleration, it will also experience a sudden change in velocity, which can affect its speed. However, in most cases, the effect of jerk on speed is minimal compared to the effect of gravity.

5. How does jerk impact the motion of a falling object?

Jerk can impact the motion of a falling object by causing sudden changes in acceleration, which can affect the object's velocity and speed. It can also cause the object to experience more turbulent motion and potentially lead to instability or irregular motion patterns.