Would a GED math book be a good idea?

• Thread starter jim1174
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Idea
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to start a new career that requires knowledge of basic and high school level math, despite having graduated from high school 20 years ago and forgetting much of the material. The suggestion is made to look online to see what material is expected for current high school graduates and possibly use a GED math study book for review. It is also recommended to follow this with self-study of introductory algebra.
jim1174
I would like to start a new a career hopefully by this time next year that requires me to know basic and high school level math. I graduated high school 20 years ago and I really have forgotten a lot. I was thinking about getting a Ged math study book. do you think it would help ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jim1174 said:
that requires me to know basic and high school level math.
By today's standards? Snoop around a bit on the net, and you should be able to find what material is expected of today's HS grads. You may find that to be enough a refresher, or, that you haven't forgotten as much as you think, or, that you were taught quite a bit more then than is expected now.

jim1174 said:
I would like to start a new a career hopefully by this time next year that requires me to know basic and high school level math. I graduated high school 20 years ago and I really have forgotten a lot. I was thinking about getting a Ged math study book. do you think it would help ?
A Good Idea. GED mathematics books would give good review for Basic Math, simple algebra, and common Geometry. Contemporary Publishers and Steck-Vaughn Publishers are good products to use. The review should take a few weeks, maybe one or two months. Follow that with self-study of Introductory or Beginning Algebra from a good old-fashioned textbook.

1. What is a GED math book?

A GED math book is a study guide specifically designed to help individuals prepare for the math portion of the General Educational Development (GED) test. This test is an alternative to a high school diploma and is often used by individuals who did not complete high school but want to continue their education or pursue job opportunities.

2. How is a GED math book different from a regular math textbook?

A GED math book is specifically tailored to cover the topics and skills that are tested on the GED math section. It includes practice questions, tips, and strategies for the test, as well as explanations and examples for each concept. Regular math textbooks may cover a wider range of topics and may not be as focused on the specific skills needed for the GED test.

3. Who would benefit from using a GED math book?

Anyone who is planning to take the GED math test would benefit from using a GED math book. This includes individuals who did not complete high school, as well as those who want to refresh their math skills before taking the test. It can also be useful for educators or tutors who are helping students prepare for the GED math test.

4. Are there different versions of GED math books?

Yes, there are different versions of GED math books available. Some may be specific to a certain version of the GED test, such as the GED 2014 test, while others may cover a broader range of GED math tests. It's important to make sure you are using a GED math book that aligns with the version of the test you will be taking.

5. Can a GED math book guarantee success on the GED math test?

A GED math book can be a helpful resource in preparing for the GED math test, but it cannot guarantee success. Success on the test ultimately depends on an individual's effort, understanding of the material, and test-taking skills. It's important to use the GED math book in conjunction with other study materials and to dedicate enough time and effort to prepare for the test.