1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would a toy car wheel count as a simple machine?

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I currently am confused about a, probably, simple problem >.<
    Back in primary school and middle school, my science teachers taught me that one of the simplest examples of a wheel and axle would the the wheels of a car (in this case a toy one), which made sense to me at the time.

Now, however, I am required to include several simple machines into a Rube Goldberg machine for my physics class. Obviously, I would decide to include some toy cars, to represent wheel and axle. But after a bit of research, I have been getting some mixed results. Some say that it only is a wheel and axle if the turning of the wheel, leading to the turning to the axle, is what has to do the work (think of a fishing rod, spinning the handle spins the axle, pulling the string with (hopefully) fish attached.)

Now, following this definition of the wheel and axle, the wheels of a toy car no longer is a simple machine. So I am hoping if someone here can clear things up for me?

Thank you very much,
    PinguNinja

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A "simple machine" is anything that helps you do work by applying a lesser force. In particular, it is easier to transport a load across a distance if you put it on wheels than if you drag it across a surface. Yes, a wheel is a "simple machine".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook