Would a toy car wheel count as a simple machine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a wheel and axle as a simple machine and its application in a Rube Goldberg machine. There is confusion about whether the wheels of a toy car can be considered a wheel and axle, as some definitions require the turning of the wheel to do the work. The conversation ends by stating that a wheel is indeed a simple machine that makes it easier to transport a load.
PinguNinja

Homework Statement

I currently am confused about a, probably, simple problem >.<
Back in primary school and middle school, my science teachers taught me that one of the simplest examples of a wheel and axle would the the wheels of a car (in this case a toy one), which made sense to me at the time.

Now, however, I am required to include several simple machines into a Rube Goldberg machine for my physics class. Obviously, I would decide to include some toy cars, to represent wheel and axle. But after a bit of research, I have been getting some mixed results. Some say that it only is a wheel and axle if the turning of the wheel, leading to the turning to the axle, is what has to do the work (think of a fishing rod, spinning the handle spins the axle, pulling the string with (hopefully) fish attached.)

Now, following this definition of the wheel and axle, the wheels of a toy car no longer is a simple machine. So I am hoping if someone here can clear things up for me?

Thank you very much,
PinguNinja

Physics news on Phys.org
A "simple machine" is anything that helps you do work by applying a lesser force. In particular, it is easier to transport a load across a distance if you put it on wheels than if you drag it across a surface. Yes, a wheel is a "simple machine".

1. What is a simple machine?

A simple machine is a mechanical device that changes the direction or magnitude of a force, making work easier to do. Examples of simple machines include levers, pulleys, screws, inclined planes, and wheels.

2. Is a toy car wheel considered a simple machine?

Yes, a toy car wheel can be considered a simple machine. It falls under the category of a wheel and axle, where the wheel (the circular part) rotates around an axle (the rod in the center), allowing for easier movement of the toy car.

3. How does a toy car wheel make work easier?

A toy car wheel makes work easier by reducing the amount of force needed to move the car. The wheel and axle provide a mechanical advantage, which means less force is required to move the car than if it were just pushed or pulled along the ground.

4. Are there different types of simple machines?

Yes, there are six different types of simple machines: levers, pulleys, screws, inclined planes, wheels and axles, and wedges. Each type has different functions and uses in everyday life.

5. How does a toy car wheel compare to other simple machines?

A toy car wheel is similar to other simple machines in that it helps make work easier by reducing the amount of force needed. However, it is unique in that it is specifically designed for the purpose of movement and transportation, while other simple machines have a wider range of uses.