Calculating Wheel Forces on a Car's Center of Gravity

In summary: CofM would be 1.78 m from the front wheel, and 1.5 m from the rear wheel.In summary, a 1321 kg automobile has 3.40 m between the front and rear axles. The center of gravity is located 1.78 m behind the front axle. The force from the ground on each front wheel is 6777.507N and the force on each rear wheel is 6168.293N.
robertmatthew

Homework Statement

An automobile with a mass of 1321 kg has 3.40 m between the front and rear axles. Its center of gravity is located 1.78 m behind the front axle.
(a) With the automobile on level ground, determine the magnitude of the force from the ground on each front wheel (assuming equal forces on the front wheels).
(b) Determine the magnitude of the force from the ground on each rear wheel (assuming equal forces on the rear wheels)

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any?

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I attempted to approach this was splitting up the mass according to the center of gravity. I assumed that because the center of gravity was 1.78m behind the front axle, it would have 1.78/3.4 of the mass and the rear wheels would have (3.4-1.78)/3.4 of the mass, so I got 691.58kg for the front of the car and 629.42kg for the back of the car. Then I multiplied these by 9.8 to get force and got 6777.507N and 6168.293N, respectively. I then divided each of these values by two, because I assumed the force would be split between the two wheels. For the front of the car, I got 3388.754N per wheel, but WebAssign's telling me this isn't right. That was my only idea, so now I have no idea what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Set up your problem in a rational way.

you can draw a free body diagram of the car, showing the location of the c.g. in relation to the position of the wheels. Use the equations of statics to determine the reactions at the front and rear wheels.

Isn't that just the sum of the forces and torques = 0? How could I use that?

You would be surprised how useful the equations of statics are.

By the way, how did your approach work?

robertmatthew said:
Isn't that just the sum of the forces and torques = 0? How could I use that?

If you consider roataion about the contact point of the front wheels, the c of m is 1.78 m away, and the back wheels are 3.4m away.
The torque effect of the whole weight through the centre of mass must equal the torque of the rear tyre support through the tyres.

I still don't really understand. My teacher hasn't been focusing on this very much, but it's pretty much the only thing on my homework, so I'm really lost here. I'm not looking for anyone to give me the answer, just a push in the right direction so I'll understand it.

robertmatthew said:
I still don't really understand. My teacher hasn't been focusing on this very much, but it's pretty much the only thing on my homework, so I'm really lost here. I'm not looking for anyone to give me the answer, just a push in the right direction so I'll understand it.

How much is torque effect of the weight of the car, with reference to the contact point of the front tyres?

Well τ=rFsinθ, so is r the distance from the front tire to the center of gravity, and F just the mass of the car times gravity?

robertmatthew said:
Well τ=rFsinθ, so is r the distance from the front tire to the center of gravity, and F just the mass of the car times gravity?

Correct - that is what r is, and that is what F is, but I asked what the torque was.

robertmatthew said:

Perhaps your formula might look more hepful if you wrote it is τ = F.rsinθ

Well Fr is 23043.524, but I'm a little confused on the angle. The angle between the distance r and the force due to the weight is just 90, right? So would the torque then be 23043.524?

robertmatthew said:
Well Fr is 23043.524, but I'm a little confused on the angle. The angle between the distance r and the force due to the weight is just 90, right? So would the torque then be 23043.524?

I don't see how you can calculate Fr - you don't know r, but you can determine rsinθ [or should it actually be rcosθ? depends how you define the answer.

The CofM may be 178 cm behind but 1 m above the front wheels, so r = 204 cm.

The CofM may be 178 cm behind but 1.5m above the front wheels, so r = 233 cm

Of course the CofM may be 178 cm behind, and level with the front wheels, so r = 178cm

What value of r did you use - and why? What significance does your choice have on the value of θ ?

It might help to pretend the car was like a seesaw. The board of the seesaw is 3.4 m long. The balance point is located at the center of gravity of the car, or 1.78 m from one end.

What forces, when applied to the ends of the board, will cause the seesaw to balance?

robertmatthew said:

Yes the torque would be, I was just trying to get you to explain why.

So the torque from the rear wheels has to be that same value, but in the opposite direction.

SO what Force has to act through the rear wheels [you know the radius].

To find the force through the front wheels you can either repeat the torque calculations using the rear wheels as the pivot point, or just consider the total up force has to match the total down force.

I had my physics class today so I got there a little early and went to ask my teacher, we revisited what SteamKing was saying about the static equilibrium. He talked me through how the two torques had to balance each other out, like what PeterO just said. I realize I appear pretty clueless here, my teacher hasn't been lecturing much during this unit so I was pretty lost. After he marked my free-body diagram a little, I understood what you guys were saying much more easily. Many thanks to both of you!

What is the center of gravity of a car?

The center of gravity of a car is the point where the weight of the car is evenly distributed in all directions. It is typically located near the center of the car, but can vary depending on the design of the car.

Why is the center of gravity important in a car?

The center of gravity is important in a car because it affects the stability and handling of the car. A lower center of gravity makes the car more stable and easier to handle, while a higher center of gravity can make the car more prone to tipping over.

How is the center of gravity of a car determined?

The center of gravity of a car is determined by the distribution of weight in the car. This includes the weight of the engine, passengers, and cargo. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the dimensions and weight distribution of the car.

How does the center of gravity change in different types of cars?

The center of gravity can vary in different types of cars depending on their design. For example, a sports car will typically have a lower center of gravity compared to a SUV, which has a higher center of gravity due to its larger size and higher ground clearance.

What happens if the center of gravity is too high in a car?

If the center of gravity is too high in a car, it can affect the stability and handling of the car. It can also increase the risk of the car tipping over, especially during sharp turns or when driving at high speeds. This is why it is important for car manufacturers to carefully design and balance the weight distribution in a car to ensure a safe and stable ride.