Would exonic primers affect gDNA amplification?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of amplifying gDNA using a primer designed for an exonic sequence. The individual is having trouble with this amplification, but the same primer works perfectly for cDNA. They suggest that the issue may be due to other annealing sites on the genomic DNA and recommend trying a nested PCR if there is additional genetic information available.
Wek
Will a primer designed for an exonic sequence anneal and sucessfully amplify a gDNA strand? I'm having trouble amplifying gDNA using that primer. cDNA with that primer amplifies perfectly. I have no problem amplifying gDNA using another primer that anneals to intronic sequences.

Biology news on Phys.org
I can't think of a reason why any given primer should work only for cDNA. Maybe the reason why you're having trouble with the genomic DNA amplification has to do with other possible annealing sites on the genomic DNA? I had this problem before. If you have upstream/downstream genetic information, maybe you should try a nested PCR?

1. What are exonic primers?

Exonic primers are short, single-stranded DNA sequences that are designed to specifically bind to and amplify a specific region of DNA that is located within an exon, which is a coding region of a gene.

2. How do exonic primers affect gDNA amplification?

Exonic primers are designed to target and amplify specific regions of DNA that are located within exons. This means that they can greatly enhance the efficiency and accuracy of gDNA amplification, as they specifically target and amplify the coding regions of a gene.

3. Can exonic primers affect non-coding regions of DNA?

No, exonic primers are specifically designed to target and amplify coding regions of DNA, meaning they will not affect non-coding regions. This ensures that only the desired regions of DNA are amplified during the PCR process.

4. Are exonic primers necessary for gDNA amplification?

While exonic primers can greatly improve the efficiency and accuracy of gDNA amplification, they are not always necessary. In some cases, non-specific primers can be used to amplify a larger region of DNA that includes both coding and non-coding regions.

5. How do I choose the right exonic primers for my experiment?

Choosing the right exonic primers depends on several factors, including the target gene, the desired region to be amplified, and the specific experimental conditions. It is important to carefully design and test primers to ensure they are specific and efficient for the desired amplification.