Aerospace engineering or computer science

In summary, the individual is undecided between studying aerospace engineering or computer science due to their passion for technology and desire to make a difference in the world through it. They are unsure of what each field entails and fear choosing the wrong path. They have limited relevant experience but are willing to work hard to succeed. It is suggested that they try basic programming to see if it is an area of interest, and that aerospace engineering involves various fields such as thermodynamics and control systems, while computer science offers a wide range of career paths such as web development and cyber security. It is recommended that they explore introductory classes from MIT to gain a better understanding of the subjects.
Kelvinr72
I am split on choosing to study for aerospace engineering or computer science. I have a passion for technology and all I want to do in life is to help people and the world through technology but I would just like more information on each one and what are some of the things I would be doing with each one. I fear that if I choose the wrong one that I would be just wasting time with something I don't love.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you in school. High school or undergrad? what makes you say aerospace or comp sci? what classes/hobbies do you have relevant to these fields

donpacino said:
Where are you in school. High school or undergrad? what makes you say aerospace or comp sci? what classes/hobbies do you have relevant to these fields
I actually just graduated high school and am attending college in the fall. I choose aerospace because of my passion for space and space exploration and I choose computer science because I'm just fascinated with the many things that computers can do and all of the many areas I can do like artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and cyber security and hopefully something with space. I really don't have any hobbies all I really have is my passion and will to work hard and succeed

So your question is tough to answer with your background because you don't really have any relevant experience.

First I think you need to find out if you enjoy basic programming. go to codeacadamy.com and try the python tutorials. If you like it, great, engineering or comp sci might be right for you. If you don't like programming, that may be a sign that comp sci isn't a real area of interest, but engineering might be.

So aerospace engineering has quite a few fields. A lot of it can actually involve computer programing (simulating or modeling systems, as well as wiring the code for the systems). with aerospace engineering you can get into thermodynamics, fluids (air over a wing is a fluid), control systems, materials, etc.

with something like comp science, you can end up as a web developer, writing code for embedded application (anything from toasters to airplane controls), desinging operating systems, machine learning, the more IT side and get into cyber security, the list is huge.

You can try going to MIT open courseware and check out the intro classes and see what they do and if it interests you.

1. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and computer science?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves a combination of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering. Computer science, on the other hand, is the study of computers and computational systems, including their principles, applications, and design. It involves programming, algorithms, and data structures.

2. Which field has better job prospects, aerospace engineering or computer science?

Both aerospace engineering and computer science have strong job prospects in various industries. Aerospace engineering is in high demand in the aerospace and defense industry, while computer science is needed in fields such as technology, finance, healthcare, and many others. It ultimately depends on personal interests and skills.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in aerospace engineering or computer science?

Aerospace engineering requires a strong foundation in math, physics, and material sciences. It also involves skills in computer-aided design (CAD), problem-solving, and attention to detail. Computer science requires proficiency in programming languages, problem-solving, and critical thinking. It also involves knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and computer systems.

4. What are the potential risks and challenges in the fields of aerospace engineering and computer science?

In aerospace engineering, the main risks and challenges involve safety and reliability. Engineers must ensure that aircraft and spacecraft are designed and constructed to meet strict safety standards. In computer science, challenges may include cybersecurity threats, keeping up with rapidly evolving technology, and managing large amounts of data.

5. Can one pursue a career in both aerospace engineering and computer science?

Yes, it is possible to combine both fields in a career. There are various roles in the aerospace industry that involve both engineering and computer science skills, such as designing and programming flight control systems. Additionally, computer science skills can be valuable in improving efficiency and automation in aerospace engineering processes.