Electrical Engineering to Computer Science

In summary, the person is currently in their third year of EE and considering switching to a masters in computer science due to their interest in programming and networking. Their question is whether it is possible to switch to CS without having much knowledge in the subject. The answer is yes, but it is important to consider what specific field within CS they want to pursue and take relevant classes to strengthen their skills. It is possible to switch from EE to other fields such as physics or mechanical engineering, but the chosen specialization and taken classes may make the process more challenging.
GentBinaku
I am currently in third year of EE and thinking about a masters degree
but the problem is here , I've developed a thing for progamming and networking and thinking about switiching to computer science
My question is this
Can i go from EE to as CS for masters degree without having much knowlegde of CS

Physics news on Phys.org
GentBinaku said:
I am currently in third year of EE and thinking about a masters degree
but the problem is here , I've developed a thing for progamming and networking and thinking about switiching to computer science
My question is this
Can i go from EE to as CS for masters degree without having much knowlegde of CS
short and sweet... yes you can.

The long answer is what do you want to do with your CS masters. There are still many paths you can take in CS. Do you still want to stay near the EE world, or do you want to work on front end user interface software. I recommend figuring out what program you want. Then look at the classes prerecs and find out where you're weak. then your senior year take an elective or two to strengthen those skills.

I know people that have gone from
ee->physics
ee->cs
ee-> ME

you can do it, but the classes you take and the specialization you pursue might make it a harder road.

What is the difference between electrical engineering and computer science?

Electrical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It primarily deals with the design and development of electrical systems, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution. On the other hand, computer science is a branch of science that deals with the study of computers and computational systems. It involves the development of software, algorithms, and programming languages. While both fields deal with the use of technology, electrical engineering is more hardware-oriented, while computer science is more software-oriented.

Can an electrical engineer become a computer scientist?

Yes, it is possible for an electrical engineer to transition into a computer scientist. Both fields have similar mathematical and analytical foundations, and an electrical engineer can use their knowledge of circuits and systems to understand the inner workings of computers. However, they may need to gain additional knowledge and skills in areas such as programming, data structures, and algorithms to become a successful computer scientist.

What skills are required for a career in electrical engineering or computer science?

For a career in electrical engineering, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and electronics. They should also have analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to design and test electrical systems. For a career in computer science, strong programming skills and knowledge of data structures and algorithms are essential. Additionally, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are crucial for success in this field.

What are the job opportunities for electrical engineers and computer scientists?

Electrical engineers have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including power generation, telecommunications, and consumer electronics. They can work as design engineers, project managers, or researchers. Similarly, computer scientists have diverse job opportunities in industries such as software development, data science, and information technology. They can work as software engineers, data analysts, or systems analysts.

Is it necessary to have a degree in electrical engineering to pursue a career in computer science?

No, it is not necessary to have a degree in electrical engineering to pursue a career in computer science. While a background in electrical engineering can be beneficial, many successful computer scientists have degrees in other related fields such as mathematics, physics, or computer engineering. What is important is to have a strong foundation in computer science fundamentals and continuously update one's skills to keep up with the rapidly evolving technology industry.