1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would I be ready for Kleppners Intro to mechanics?

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    Ok, so I was wondering when i am done taking Calc III would I be ready for Kleppners Intro to mechanics? I hear it is quite rigours having use of mulidemensional integration and some diff eq. But that is what Physics is all about! I believe todays physics books are just to cartoony. Is there a kleppners equivalent? What do you think?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2
    Given that Calc III involves more than basic differentiation and integration, I think you should not have a problem with reading Kleppner.

4. Aug 10, 2007 #3
    After calc 3, you can do even harder mechanics books than Kleppner. I highly recommend "Mechanics" by Landau and Lif****z if you want a top notch mechanics book. You will have to learn a little bit of math (rudimentary calculus of variations, and you'll have to look up a theorem here and there), but the book is outstanding. Not a word is wasted, and every explanation is crystal clear (although quite terse).

5. Aug 10, 2007 #4
    What about Goldstein? I hear he has some great texts.

6. Aug 10, 2007 #5
    Goldstein's Mechanics and Landau/Lif****z are about at the same level. I personally prefer L/L because its much shorter and doesn't feel like it rambles, but many people prefer Goldstein also. If you have library access, you could always just check out a copy of each of these books!

7. Aug 10, 2007 #6
    I have seen goldstein at my university library. I will look for landau.
    As long as they have very detailed explanations, do they?
    I like detail

8. Aug 10, 2007 #7
    But you must remember that Goldstein and Kleppner are NOT on the same level. A book like Goldstein's (typically dealing with the subject known as Analytical Mechanics or Classical Mechanics) assumes that you have done a course at the level of Kleppner's.

9. Aug 10, 2007 #8
    Yes, that is true. At least mathematically, goldstein or landau is manageable after calc 3, but the physics might be tough going. Personally, I worked through landau with my HS physics teacher with only BC calc as background (plus independant study on a motley array of fun topics), and I found it tough but very rewarding. One other possibility would be doing kleppner and supplementing it with "perfect form" by don lemons, which is an elementary account of lagrangian/hamiltonian mechanics and other variational techniques. I read it to prepare myself for landau/lif****z, and quite liked it.

What ever you do though, HAVE FUN WITH IT!!

10. Aug 10, 2007 #9
    calc three is too much for kleppner, you should have taken it alongside calc 1.

11. Aug 10, 2007 #10
    So not Goldstein yet,ok. Are there anyother books you guys recommend for studying Mechanics with math level of calc III? I would like it rigorous and highly detailed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?