Would one consider the following to be a monopole, or a dipole?

In summary: If the charge is magnetic, your object is called a magnetic monopole.In summary, the question is about whether a sphere with one polarity on its outer surface and another at its center qualifies as a dipole or a monopole. Based on the definition of a monopole as a spherically symmetric object with only one type of charge, it can be concluded that this is a monopole. The distinction between mono- and di- poles is based on the spherical harmonic expansion of the object's charge distribution.
Gravitas
I hope that I have chosen the correct thread and that this belongs here.
I understand the concept of a dipole, where you have opposite polarities at each end of a lineal object, i.e. a magnet. My question concerns the case of a sphere, where the outer surface is one polarity and the center is another, rather than a sphere that is merely 'half and half'. Considering that one pole is completely surrounded (enclosed) by the other pole, does this still count as a dipole, or does it now qualify as a monopole. Also, what are the criteria that would allow one to distinguish between different types (arrangements) of poles, to qualify as mono- vs di-? Thanks in advance for your help in enlightening me on this point. Gravitas

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitas said:
I hope that I have chosen the correct thread and that this belongs here.
I understand the concept of a dipole, where you have opposite polarities at each end of a lineal object, i.e. a magnet. My question concerns the case of a sphere, where the outer surface is one polarity and the center is another, rather than a sphere that is merely 'half and half'. Considering that one pole is completely surrounded (enclosed) by the other pole, does this still count as a dipole, or does it now qualify as a monopole. Also, what are the criteria that would allow one to distinguish between different types (arrangements) of poles, to qualify as mono- vs di-? Thanks in advance for your help in enlightening me on this point. Gravitas

Since it is completely spherically symmetric, it is a monopole.

The definition has to do with so-called spherical harmonic expansions of e.g. the angular dependency of the scalar potential that surrounds the object, due to the charges it contains. Since your object contains charge densities of some kind, it is surrounded by such a field. Since the charge density is spherically symmetric, the spherical harmonic expansion of the angular dependent part of this field will contain only the lowest order spherical harmonic. Therefore, this is called a monopole field. If the charge is electric, your object is called an electric monopole.

1. What is a monopole?

A monopole is a hypothetical single magnetic charge that does not have a north and south pole. It is often referred to as a magnetic monopole.

2. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite electric charges or magnetic poles separated by a small distance. It is also known as an electric dipole or magnetic dipole.

3. How can one determine if something is a monopole or a dipole?

One can determine if something is a monopole or a dipole by examining its magnetic field. A monopole will have only one pole, while a dipole will have two poles with opposite polarities.

4. Can something be both a monopole and a dipole?

No, something cannot be both a monopole and a dipole. It can only be one or the other, depending on the configuration of its magnetic or electric fields.

5. What are some real-life examples of monopoles and dipoles?

Real-life examples of monopoles include electric charges, such as protons and electrons, and magnetic monopoles, which have not yet been observed in nature. Dipoles can be found in everyday objects, such as bar magnets, which have a north and south pole, and water molecules, which have a positive and negative end due to the unequal distribution of charges.