Would this course load be manageable?

In summary: I just don't think it's a good idea to take ODE before LA or C3. You need to be somewhat comfortable with basic linear algebra to do well in ODE.
John Jacke
Last semester I took Physics 2, Calc 3, a lab course, and ODE. This was easy to do for me because I studied often.

This semester I will take:

1. Chinese 1 (required)
2. Linear Algebra
3. Modern Physics
4. Physics problem solving (a drill of advanced multi-step calc-based physics problems from classical mechanics and E&M)
5. Intro. to modern astrophysics

Do you think this is too much? I know Chinese so I'm not worried about that course. The problem solving course is basically both general physics 1 and 2 combined from sophomore year and then topped with an increase in difficulty.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see Chinese 1 can pose a problem, depending on what is expected from you, and if you are able to pick up languages easily. I took Arabic, and it was hard for me. I already knew Spanish/English, due to me being Mexican American. I ended up going to Arabic 4, which is four semesters at my school. I am not good at learning languages.

Linear Algebra can also be difficult. My course focused solely on proofs, we did isomorphism and jordan canonical forms. I do not think these topics are normal for an introduction to Linear Algebra. Some linear algebra courses are plug and chug. It is the first mathematics course, were watching only videos can not get you a good grade. You have to read the assigned textbook, reread it, reference another book, and cry, then rinse and repeat.

Modern Physics was easier than Electromagnetism for me.

I'm taking this course load now. I think its fine. I don't exactly know what's been going on in linear algebra because I have been spending all my time in the problem solving course. The problem solving course requires me to do 8 physics problems which are basically based on general physics 1 and 2 on steroids. It's aim is to basically force us to master all of that content. We have a week to turn in this assignment and it usually ends up being 20 pages long taking on average 10 hours to complete. Anyway I think linear algebra is almost a mix of ODE and Calc 3. I think because I took those courses and especially Calc 3 this class is very simple to understand. Modern physics is amazing and we just learn about crazy dang every day. I walk out of there and am awestruck. Today we learned Q&M formally, we went over the Heisenberg uncertainty principle mathematically/conceptually, and learned about Schrödinger's cat.

John Jacke said:
I'm taking this course load now. I think its fine. I don't exactly know what's been going on in linear algebra because I have been spending all my time in the problem solving course. The problem solving course requires me to do 8 physics problems which are basically based on general physics 1 and 2 on steroids. It's aim is to basically force us to master all of that content. We have a week to turn in this assignment and it usually ends up being 20 pages long taking on average 10 hours to complete. Anyway I think linear algebra is almost a mix of ODE and Calc 3. I think because I took those courses and especially Calc 3 this class is very simple to understand.

Really don't understand how you can do a proper course in ODE without taking LA first, or C3 for that matter.

Modern physics is amazing and we just learn about crazy **** every day. I walk out of there and am awestruck. Today we learned Q&M formally, we went over the Heisenberg uncertainty principle mathematically/conceptually, and learned about Schrödinger's cat.

I would ask for my money back.

Not a dig on you, don't interpert it that way.

1. Can I handle the workload for this course?

The answer to this question depends on various factors such as your time management skills, prior knowledge in the subject, and overall dedication to the course. It is important to carefully assess your abilities and make a realistic decision before enrolling in a course.

2. How many hours a week should I expect to spend on coursework?

The amount of time you should spend on coursework for a particular course can vary depending on the complexity of the material and your individual learning pace. On average, college courses require around 2-3 hours of work per credit hour per week. Therefore, a 3-credit course would require approximately 6-9 hours of coursework per week.

3. Are there any tips for managing a heavy course load?

Yes, there are various strategies you can use to manage a heavy course load. Some tips include creating a study schedule, prioritizing assignments and tasks, seeking help when needed, and taking breaks to avoid burnout. It is also important to communicate with your professors and seek support from academic resources on campus.

4. Will the course material be challenging?

The level of difficulty for a course can vary depending on the subject and the professor teaching it. Some courses may be more challenging than others, but this does not necessarily mean they are unmanageable. It is important to be prepared to put in the necessary effort and seek help when needed to succeed in a challenging course.

5. Is it possible to balance a heavy course load with other commitments?

Yes, it is possible to balance a heavy course load with other commitments such as work, extracurricular activities, and personal responsibilities. However, it requires effective time management and prioritization. It is important to communicate with your professors if you have other commitments that may affect your coursework and to make sure you have enough time to dedicate to each aspect of your life.