Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would traveling faster than the speed of light solve the entanglement issue?

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    I do not know a lot about physics, however, I was wondering if anyone would know, now that they think something can travel faster than the speed of light, would that solve the entanglement issue in quantum mechanics or at least the problem Einstein had with it? Or how two particles would be able to contact one in other over long distances spooky action at a distance he called it was niels bohr or einstein right or would the fact that an electron may be able to travel faster than light mean they were both wrong?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2
    There's no problem, entanglement apparently happens because they are the same particle, even mathematically, so no matter what the distance their probabilities will still be equal to each other's.

4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    if something can travel faster than light is it possible that they are communicating

5. Mar 14, 2012 #4
    They aren't communicating though, they are just occupying the same quantum state.

6. Mar 14, 2012 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Are you by any chance referring to the report of apparent superluminal neutrinos at CERN a few months ago? They've now found a couple of sources of experimental error, and will be testing this shortly:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3779525#post3779525

7. Mar 14, 2012 #6
    I was referring to CERN and Brian Greene's book The Fabric of the Cosmos as it was presented on NOVA I did not know of the "experimental error's" I should have triple checked that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook