Would you date or marry a nonintellectual?

• Thread starter Honn
  • Start date
I would. I have friends with whom I can talk about weird intellectual stuff. As long as he's not an idiot, I don't mind. But I am starting to realize that there is a very noticeable difference in personality between people who enjoy learning and thinking, and those who never even cared to pay attention in high school. That division is a problem, sometimes.

Would you date or marry someone you couldn't have profound intellectual conversations with? I mean someone who is smart, a person who has common sense, but this person is not a genius and can't talk about profound intellectual subjects. Would you date or marry someone like this?
I doubt many of you are geniuses so why should we discuss if we're able to date someone whom is not. It doesn't matter I get your question and my answer would be yes. You don't need to discuss things with them just because you're capable and a lot of people aren't. Also if you're so capable of talking about these hard to understand subjects you'd probably be able to educate them or simplify it so you and her/him could discuss.

I think a better question would be: Could you date/marry someone who is not interested in your interests of which you have dedicated so much time to? My question would still be yes. :P

Likes YamunaVargr
Guys, girls, please.
General Discussion Relationship.JPG

I stumble here, because I read it's an interesting title, but... the OP has already left, but we keep arguing each other. I wonder where the OP now.
It's been 9 months and the OP never post a single post since then.
But when I were asked this question when I was still single, I would have answer Yes!

Honn
Many great answers here.. I'd not know how to put it well. My question was if you could date an intellectually simple person. Someone who doesn't have too many intellectual pursuits. Let's say someone who can't discuss too much about math, philosophy, physics, science etc..Someone who isn't a bookworm. A person who prefers talking mundane subjects like pop culture, movies, tv ,games..I am talking of a person of common sense, but intellectually simple.. How important is intellectual compatibility for you? Are you looking for intellectual stimulation in a partner? How much does it matter for you that a partner can hold an intellectual conversation?

Many great answers here.. I'd not know how to put it well. My question was if you could date an intellectually simple person. Someone who doesn't have too many intellectual pursuits. Let's say someone who can't discuss too much about math, philosophy, physics, science etc..Someone who isn't a bookworm. A person who prefers talking mundane subjects like pop culture, movies, tv ,games..I am talking of a person of common sense, but intellectually simple.. How important is intellectual compatibility for you? Are you looking for intellectual stimulation in a partner? How much does it matter for you that a partner can hold an intellectual conversation?
You should be able to talk with your partner. I would also caution against thinking someone 'intellectually simple' because they're not interested in mathematics, physics, or philosophy. The most intellectual people I know couldn't care less about any of those things.

Likes Ryan_m_b
You should be able to talk with your partner. I would also caution against thinking someone 'intellectually simple' because they're not interested in mathematics, physics, or philosophy. The most intellectual people I know couldn't care less about any of those things.
This.

There are many well adjusted, intelligent, people that are simply not interested in the topics that most on this forum seem to associate with intelligence. Granted, this is a Physics forum so it's no surprise.... but I assure you there are people out there with far more intelligence than anyone on this board that couldn't care less about Math, Physics, or silly things such as "could care less" vs "couldn't care less".

The type of people that genuinely care about that last example just come off as "aspie" rather than intelligent.

Likes Ryan_m_b
[...] such as "could care less" vs "couldn't care less".
The latter sounds more common.
The type of people that genuinely care about that last example just come off as "aspie" rather than intelligent.
I feel sorry for you; you might not be understanding or forget how bed-ridden nonintellectual people have actually felt while saying this.

you might not be understanding or forget how bed-ridden nonintellectual people have actually felt while saying this.
I have no clue what you're trying to say here but ok...

Likes Silicon Waffle
This.

There are many well adjusted, intelligent, people that are simply not interested in the topics that most on this forum seem to associate with intelligence. Granted, this is a Physics forum so it's no surprise.... but I assure you there are people out there with far more intelligence than anyone on this board that couldn't care less about Math, Physics, or silly things such as "could care less" vs "couldn't care less".

As an aside, you should know that, in this case, "couldn't" is the right word to use. There's a significant difference between the two phrases and, unless you want to come across as unschooled, you should try not to confuse them. ;)

As an aside, you should know that, in this case, "couldn't" is the right word to use. There's a significant difference between the two phrases and, unless you want to come across as unschooled, you should try not to confuse them. ;)
No offense, but I'm well aware of the difference. My point is that it's a common idiom that has been used since the 50s. So, ironically, the people that apparently have an issue with that phrase and are constantly "correcting" it appear.... not so intelligent. And, yes, extremely aspie.

Idioms are often NOT logical. The phrase "Head over heels" makes no sense. It used to be "Heels over head" which makes more logical sense but that version isn't used anymore, right?

This "argument" is like something they'd be squabbling over at Reddit.

Last edited:
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
<Snip>
Idioms are often NOT logical. The phrase "Head over heels" makes no sense. It used to be "Heels over head" which makes more logical sense but that version isn't used anymore, right?

This "argument" is like something they'd be squabbling over at Reddit.
Interestingly, it seems one of the ways they caught the Unabomber was that he used the expression " You cannot eat your cake and then have it" , which is more precise than " You cannot have your cake and eat it": of course you can: you have it, you eat it.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I would imagine a true intellectual ( which I don't claim to be ) would be interested in knowledge for knowledge sake, and so would be interested in all areas. That is what I would associate to any reasonable definition of intellectual.
Still, I would think it comes down to , re the OP, finding someone who is willing to challenge themselves, their views and learn in the process. I think this is what the OP is referring to.

cronxeh
Gold Member
I'll weigh in on this one, and by no definition am I considered an 'intellectual'. However, even being about average intelligence I'd say the chasm between two mindsets is there, and at times I did call my ex 'stupid', perhaps in the heat of an argument. She knew I meant it, and I knew how hurt it made her.. it sucks, but it doesn't usually work out.