Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you rather be an influential mathematician/physicist or politican?

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    Like would you rather be someone like einstein, witten, newton or gauss or be a politician like Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, Obama, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't want to be influential. I just want to understand the world a little bit more.

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    Good answer. I think too many physicists are opportunists.

5. Sep 8, 2011 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Hmm...try and unravel the mind of god or waste time attacking another political party because the one I am affiliated is better...

6. Sep 8, 2011 #5
    Politics is power though. Lobbyists bribing you with cash, the respectFactor.

7. Sep 8, 2011 #6
    Exactly my thoughts. I have always disliked politics, and I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion.

8. Sep 8, 2011 #7
    You are all atheists, though, right? Republicans want to incorporate Jesus in to the classroom. How does that make you feel?

9. Sep 8, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I wouldn't mind being a politician though. That way I can take care that more money goes to education and research. I'd love to see a politician that would take care that every person has the same opportunities in life...

10. Sep 8, 2011 #9
    Heheheh, you might have forgot about this thing called POLITICAL POWER PRESSURE and 24/7 CABLE NEWS. :P

11. Sep 8, 2011 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's exactly why I'm not running :biggrin:

12. Sep 8, 2011 #11

chiro

Science Advisor

I don't want to be influential: I want everyone to think for themselves in a critical, analytic and constructive manner.

13. Sep 8, 2011 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just want money.

Oh, that would make me a politician, wouldn't it? :frown:

14. Sep 8, 2011 #13
    It doesn't matter if they want to, its not going to happen.

15. Sep 8, 2011 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be Emperor of the World, that's all I ask.

16. Sep 9, 2011 #15
    Tough question. Create something that people could use for either good or evil, depending on their particular bent, or influence people towards good or evil, depending on my particular bent.

17. Sep 9, 2011 #16

chiro

Science Advisor

Typically, those are ousted out, slandered, ostracized, lied about, even assassinated.

18. Sep 9, 2011 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I want to be a slave owner.
    I will be good to my slaves, as long as they behave properly and are sufficiently deferential, and make my existence comfortable.

19. Sep 9, 2011 #18
    Physicist>mathematician>politician.

Politicians mostly start with the best of intentions but the system grinds them down or they become corrupt, there are few if any honest politicians.

I think you have to be fantastic at maths from the get go to really succeed there or just be very diligent. I suppose the same goes for physics but you can at least pick and chose the areas where the maths you are weak in are not so prevalent.

That's a good aim to have with slaves. I would suggest you treat them fairly and harshly with a stick when they do bad. Having a personal footstool couldn't go amiss either, there's nothing like a man or woman's (let's not be sexist) back for comfortable repose.

20. Sep 9, 2011 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What I find most annoying in my daily life is that grubby stuff lodging itself between my toes.
    To keep my toes clean from that would require one full time slave, at least.

21. Sep 9, 2011 #20
    I feel your pain. :frown:

Life is hard for the slave owner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook