Write down a list of nine features of the radiation fields that can be deduced

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
blueyellow

Homework Statement



In the limit of large distances, the electric field that is associated with the radiation magnetic fields is given by the real part of:

E(r)=[(μ(subscript 0) I(subscript 0) δ l)/(4pi)] cos θ ((-i ω)/r)exp [i(kr-ωt)] θ-hat

The magnetic field is given by the real part of:

B(r)=[(μ(subscript 0) I(subscript 0) δ l)/(4pi)] sinθ [((-i ω)/(rc))+(1/(r^2))]exp [i(kr-ωt)] phi-hat

Write down a list of up to nine features of the radiation fields that can be deduced from the form of the expressions for the radiation B and E fields. You should consider the relationship between E and B, the factors determining the amplitude of the wave, the polarisation of the wave, the speed of the wave and the shape of the waveform.

The Attempt at a Solution



E and B are perpendicular to each other.
They are traveling in the same direction.
They both have a sinusoidal shape.
They have different amplitudes.
They are linearly polarised.

That's all I can think of. Please help me think of some more.

How do I deduce the speed of the wave from those equations?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
E is traveling in the theta-hat direction.
B is traveling in the phi-hat direction.

But I am really stuck on thinking up two more features to answer the question. Please help.