1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write down a list of nine features of the radiation fields that can be deduced

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the limit of large distances, the electric field that is associated with the radiation magnetic fields is given by the real part of:

E(r)=[(μ(subscript 0) I(subscript 0) δ l)/(4pi)] cos θ ((-i ω)/r)exp [i(kr-ωt)] θ-hat

The magnetic field is given by the real part of:

B(r)=[(μ(subscript 0) I(subscript 0) δ l)/(4pi)] sinθ [((-i ω)/(rc))+(1/(r^2))]exp [i(kr-ωt)] phi-hat

Write down a list of up to nine features of the radiation fields that can be deduced from the form of the expressions for the radiation B and E fields. You should consider the relationship between E and B, the factors determining the amplitude of the wave, the polarisation of the wave, the speed of the wave and the shape of the waveform.

3. The attempt at a solution

E and B are perpendicular to each other.
    They are travelling in the same direction.
    They both have a sinusoidal shape.
    They have different amplitudes.
    They are linearly polarised.

That's all I can think of. Please help me think of some more.

How do I deduce the speed of the wave from those equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2
    E is travelling in the theta-hat direction.
    B is travelling in the phi-hat direction.

But I am really stuck on thinking up two more features to answer the question. Please help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook