Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Write down a list of nine features of the radiation fields that can be deduced

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the limit of large distances, the electric field that is associated with the radiation magnetic fields is given by the real part of:

E(r)=[(μ(subscript 0) I(subscript 0) δ l)/(4pi)] cos θ ((-i ω)/r)exp [i(kr-ωt)] θ-hat

The magnetic field is given by the real part of:

B(r)=[(μ(subscript 0) I(subscript 0) δ l)/(4pi)] sinθ [((-i ω)/(rc))+(1/(r^2))]exp [i(kr-ωt)] phi-hat

Write down a list of up to nine features of the radiation fields that can be deduced from the form of the expressions for the radiation B and E fields. You should consider the relationship between E and B, the factors determining the amplitude of the wave, the polarisation of the wave, the speed of the wave and the shape of the waveform.

3. The attempt at a solution

E and B are perpendicular to each other.
    They are travelling in the same direction.
    They both have a sinusoidal shape.
    They have different amplitudes.
    They are linearly polarised.

That's all I can think of. Please help me think of some more.

How do I deduce the speed of the wave from those equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2
    E is travelling in the theta-hat direction.
    B is travelling in the phi-hat direction.

But I am really stuck on thinking up two more features to answer the question. Please help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook