1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write equation of translated graph in general form

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identify the graph of each equation. Write the equation of the translated graph for T(-5,6) in general form. Then draw the graph.

4x2 + 5y2 = 20

2. Relevant equations
    Ax2 + Bxy + Cy2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I put the equation instandard form and got :

[tex]\frac{x^2}{5}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{y^2}{4}[/tex] = 1

This shows that it is a graph of an ellipse with center (0,0).

However, I wasnt sure what to do next. I found the translated points using matrices and adding, but I dont know what to do with this, ot even if I need this information.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2010 #2
    Is it standard form?
    let's see,
    (standard form) = 0
    and your equation is
    (some equation) = 1

4. Jul 9, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If the graph of the ellipse is translated left by 5 units and up 6 units, the center will move from (0, 0) to (-5, 6). How will this affect the equation
    [tex]\frac{x^2}{5} + \frac{y^2}{4} = 1[/tex]?

Tip: write your entire equation in one pair of [ tex] tags.

5. Jul 9, 2010 #4
    The equation will then become:

[tex]\frac{(x+5)^2}{5} + \frac{(y-6)^2}{4} = 1[/tex]

NOw, how can I convert this into general form?

6. Jul 9, 2010 #5

Mark44

Multiply both sides by 20, expand (x + 5) and (y - 6)2, and bring everything to one side, with zero on the other side.

7. Jul 9, 2010 #6
    Ok, I get the following:

[tex]4x^2 + 5y^2 + 40x - 60y +260 = 0[/tex]

This looks good, except there is no "Bxy" term. When would this term appear?

Looking through my older notes, I found a few problems where i converted from standard form to general form before. However, it looks like that way I did it was by setting up a system of 3 equations, and somehow solving for the variables D, E, and F. Can this method I mentioned by used on anything other than circles?

Lastly, will the method you showed me work with all types of conic sections?

8. Jul 9, 2010 #7

Mark44

The xy term shows up when conic sections (such as an ellipse in this problem) are rotated.
    I don't understand what you're saying here. To convert from general form to standard form (if I remember these terms correctly), you complete the square in the x terms and in the y terms. If you're talking about the general form with an xy term, it's been a very long time since I've done that, so can't commit on the method you describe.

9. Jul 10, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you have a conic section with [itex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2[/itex] (and other non-squared terms) with C not 0, you can get rid of it in either of two ways:

1) Let [itex]x= x' cos(\theta)- y' sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= x' sin(\theta)+ y' cos(\theta)[/itex], replace x and y in your formula by that, and solve for a value of [itex]\theta[/itex] that make Bxy= 0. [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle through which the axes are rotated and the entire equation with x', y' instead of x, y will have no "xy" term.

2) Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}A & \frac{1}{2}C \\ \frac{1}{2}C & D\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The eigenvectors will point along line y= ax and y= bx, that are parallel to the axes of the conic and substituting x'= ax- y, y'= bx- y will get rid of the "xy" term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook