1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question concerning defining the general equation of a conic from 5-points

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I understand that the general equation of a conic is:
    ca5d856e1fbe0fdf05d99def75d82005.png

And I know that I can use 5 points to determine the unique conic that passes through these points.

What I don't understand, however, is this site's explanation of the process:
    http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/zenosamples/zs_conic_eqn_5points.html" [Broken]

The reason being is that, under the header of "Fitting a Conic Section Through Five Points,"
    they declare that there is one and only one conic that may fit through these five points. However, they have to define the F variable before they solve the matrix. This seems contradictory to me. Why do they have to define F in order to pick a unique conic? Wouldn't F be defined already?

My overarching problem, however, is merely to find an ellipse based on a number of points. It is for a program that will predict the orbit of a controllable-planet by using past positions. Is there an easier way to find the length, width, position, and orientation of an ellipse?

Wolfram-Alpha's page on ellipses is very helpful in giving me a way to find those values if I have all the variables in the general equation, but is there an easier way?

2. Relevant equations

Ax2 + Bxy + Cy2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No. Note that there are 6 constants in the general formula:A, B, C, D, E, and F. But we only need 5 points because they are not independent. In particular, [itex]F= -(Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2+ Dx+ Ey)[/itex]. Or, more simply, you can divide through by any number and get a formula for the same conic section with different coefficients. In particular, if you divide through by F you get [itex]A'x^3+ B'xy+ C'y^2+ D'x+ E'y+ 1= 0[/itex] where A', B', C', D', and E' are A, B, C, D, and E, each divided by F. "Choosing" F just determines which of many formulations for the same conic section we get.

I won't say it is "easier" but all those things are determined by the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix giving the quadratic part of that:
    [tex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2= \begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}A & \frac{1}{2}B \\ \frac{1}{2}B & C\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook