Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write physics extended essay (IB)

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    Hi.
    I'm supposed to write an extended essay in physics (I'm currently studying in the last year of IB). I haven't chosen any research question or a topic for my essay. I would appreciate if you could give me some ideas. I searched about it but all the ideas I found are so common and everybody chooses them. I want to get an A so I need to have a new and nice idea. And something in which I can preform an experiment, and then write about the result and analyze them in about 4000 words. Pleas please and please ... help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2
    And by the way, the areas of physics which I like to do my EE from are waves and, Kinematic, and thermodynamic.

4. Jun 21, 2012 #3
    How technical does it need to be? What is IB?

5. Jun 21, 2012 #4
    Pre university!
    IB is an international program in which all courses are being thought in english and it goes a bit deeper into the subjects compared to other high school programs. I just mentioned that it for IB so if there are other IB students having the same question could use this post as well.
    :)
    But the level is pre university.

6. Jun 21, 2012 #5
    You could write about the relationship between thermodynamics and information theory.

There's a great popular physics book on the subject called "Decoding the Universe"

7. Jun 21, 2012 #6

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

alireza1992, Since you need to do experiments for your research project I suggest making a spectrograph to measure the sun's light. You will find emission lines and absorbtion lines, both which tell you about the sun's characteristics. A simple prism will get you started, but a high quality diffraction grating spectrometer would be best. Measure, analyze, and then report! Good luck.

8. Jun 22, 2012 #7
    I like the idea with spectrogpraph. The idea with the information theory is good as well but I cannot preform any experiment in that one.
    I put the spectrograph idea in consideration :)
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook