Write the complete solution as the particular solution plus any multip

In summary: The only difference is that I used "c" instead of "x2".Yes, I was aware of that. But, I wanted to know the precise [i]reason[/i] why it worked, not just that it worked.
s3a

Homework Statement

Could someone please help me do this problem?:

“Write the complete solution as x_p plus any multiple of s in the nullspace:
x + 3y + 3z = 1
2x + 6y + 9z = 5
–x – 3y + 3z = 5”

The answer is x = x_p + x_n = {{-2},{0},{1}} + x_2 {{-3, 1, 0}}.

Homework Equations

Ax = b

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the {{-2},{0},{1}} and {{-3},{1},{0}} but, I don't get how the x_2 was obtained there.

Any input would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

s3a said:

Homework Statement

Could someone please help me do this problem?:

“Write the complete solution as x_p plus any multiple of s in the nullspace:
x + 3y + 3z = 1
2x + 6y + 9z = 5
–x – 3y + 3z = 5”

The answer is x = x_p + x_n = {{-2},{0},{1}} + x_2 {{-3, 1, 0}}.

Homework Equations

Ax = b

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the {{-2},{0},{1}} and {{-3},{1},{0}} but, I don't get how the x_2 was obtained there.

Any input would be really appreciated!

Did you try solving the system by row reduction?

hi s3a! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink::
s3a said:

i've no idea why they've written x2 :confused:

we'd normally use C (for "constant"! :biggrin:)

(btw, why are you using so many curly brackets, instead of fewer, ordinary brackets?)

Also, are you sure the problem is copied correctly? I don't think your solution works.

[Edit] Yes it does work, arithmetic mistake here.

Last edited:

Sorry. I double-posted. This website should have some sort of mechanism where you can't post twice until 10 seconds elapse or something like that.

LCKurtz, I did use row reduction. Also, thanks for telling me about the existence of the x_2 button and, yes, the solution was copied down correctly. Letting c = 1, for example, yields a solution to the system of equations so, it works. :)

tiny-tim, the abundance of curly brackets is Wolfram Alpha's notation for emphasizing that the vectors are vertical.

Okay, so basically x_2 = c is a constant. That pretty much helped me see through my confusion, lol!

Thanks!

s3a said:
LCKurtz, I did use row reduction. Also, thanks for telling me about the existence of the x_2 button and, yes, the solution was copied down correctly. Letting c = 1, for example, yields a solution to the system of equations so, it works. :)

tiny-tim, the abundance of curly brackets is Wolfram Alpha's notation for emphasizing that the vectors are vertical.

Okay, so basically x_2 = c is a constant. That pretty much helped me see through my confusion, lol!

Thanks!

So you solved it OK with row reduction and all is well, right?

Yes.

To elaborate, I solved it augmented with b and that allowed me to get a particular solution and then took that fully-row-reduced matrix and took away the last column (=the augmented column) and replaced it with zeroes and that gave me the other part which, when all multiples of it are summed with the particular solution, all solutions are obtained.

(Sorry for the sloppy explanation, I am sleepy as I write this.)

(If anyone knows what that other part is called, I'd be interested in knowing.)

s3a said:
Yes.

To elaborate, I solved it augmented with b and that allowed me to get a particular solution and then took that fully-row-reduced matrix and took away the last column (=the augmented column) and replaced it with zeroes and that gave me the other part which, when all multiples of it are summed with the particular solution, all solutions are obtained.

The part you got with the specific vector is called a 'particular solution'. The part with the parameter you got from Ax=0 is the 'homogeneous solution'.

Oh, you ... I remember that term! Thanks!

s3a said:
Yes.

Of course, you don't have to solve it twice like that. For example if your reduced augmented matrix came out$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1&3&0&-2\\
0&0&1&1\\
0&0&0&0
\end{bmatrix}$$that corresponds to the two equations
x + 3y = -2
z = 1
So you can let y be anything, say y = c and write the solution like this$$
\begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y\\
z\end{bmatrix}=
\begin{bmatrix}
-2-3c\\
c\\
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
-2\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}+c\begin{bmatrix}
-3\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$and you have it.

What is a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies all of the given conditions.

What is a multip?

A multip is a constant multiplier that is added to the particular solution to account for any remaining discrepancy between the particular solution and the general solution of the differential equation.

Why is it important to include the particular solution and multip in the complete solution?

Including the particular solution and multip in the complete solution allows for the most accurate representation of the solution to the differential equation, as it takes into account all given conditions.

How do you determine the particular solution and multip?

The particular solution and multip can be determined by plugging in the given conditions into the general solution of the differential equation and solving for the unknown constants.

Can there be more than one particular solution for a given differential equation?

Yes, there can be more than one particular solution for a given differential equation, depending on the number of given conditions and the complexity of the equation.