Writing correct mathematics -- functions within functions....

You need to specify what variable you are integrating with respect to, in this case x. So the correct notation is ##\int f(x)dx##.
christian0710
Hi I'm a bit confused about some mathematical notation
If i write

f(x)=(2x^2 + 10)^4

And i define
u= 2x^2 +10
u^4 = f(x)

Would it then be correct to write
f(u)= u^4

Or would i get
f(u)= 2(u)^2 +10 = (2(2x^2 +10)+10)^2

Should i define u^4 = f(x) first? Would it then be correct?

My book writes that if u is a function of x then then you can put u into x and get the following.
∫f(u)du = F(g(x))

So I want to make sure I'm assuming correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
A last question: If you define a function f to have the equation f(x) = 2x is it then true that the variable y=f(x) differs from f, because f is a function (not a number) and y is a number?

So when we take f(x)= (1+2x)^2 and call u=(1+2x) then it would be wrong to write f=u^2 because f is already defined as a function (not a value?)

So writing ∫fdx or∫fdf would just be plain wrong?

christian0710 said:
Hi I'm a bit confused about some mathematical notation
If i write

f(x)=(2x^2 + 10)^4

And i define
u= 2x^2 +10
u^4 = f(x)

Would it then be correct to write
f(u)= u^4

Or would i get
f(u)= 2(u)^2 +10 = (2(2x^2 +10)+10)^2

Should i define u^4 = f(x) first? Would it then be correct?

My book writes that if u is a function of x then then you can put u into x and get the following.
∫f(u)du = F(g(x))

So I want to make sure I'm assuming correctly.

You should keep the form of the function f(x). Like so.
f(x)=(2x^2 + 10)^4
f(u)=(2u^2 + 10)^4

And so on. That is, you should think of the content of the () in f(x) as a placeholder.

If you want to have u as some function of x then you can define a different function to account for this. Like so.

u(x) = 2x^2 + 10
F(u) = u^4
F(u(x)) = u(x)^4 = (2x^2+10)^4 = f(x)

Or to use a different example, consider the trig function sin(u). If you plot sin(u) as a function of u for u between 0 and ##2\pi## you get a nice sine wave. If you then think about u being a function of x, say u(x) = x^2, then you have sin(u(x)) = sin(x^2). If you plot this function as a function of x for ##x = 0## to ##\sqrt{ 2\pi}## it will still go through the same values, but the shape will be different. You should try this to see what I mean.

christian0710 said:
A last question: If you define a function f to have the equation f(x) = 2x is it then true that the variable y=f(x) differs from f, because f is a function (not a number) and y is a number?
Yes. y is a number because f(x) is a number. However, even though y is a number and not a function, it's still correct to say that y is a function of x, because the value of y is determined by the value of x. You can also say that about f(x). f is a function, but f(x) is a number and a function of x. But don't say that f is a function of x. That wouldn't make sense.

christian0710 said:
So when we take f(x)= (1+2x)^2 and call u=(1+2x) then it would be wrong to write f=u^2 because f is already defined as a function (not a value?)
Yes, this would be wrong. You can write ##f(x)=u^2##, but not ##f=u^2##. However, if you define a function g by g(t)=1+2t for all real numbers t, then you can write ##f=g^2##. This is based on the following definition of the product of two functions: (fg)(x)=f(x)g(x) for all real numbers x. Then we can define the notation ##g^2## by ##g^2=gg##. So ##g^2(x)=(gg)(x)=g(x)g(x)=g(x)^2## for all real numbers x.

christian0710 said:
Yes. I think ∫f is an acceptable alternative to the standard ∫f(x)dx, but I still don't recommend using it, because people aren't used to seeing it.

Likes christian0710
christian0710 said:
That would not be wrong but just have different meanings. The point is that you have tell others what you concern, that is, ##dx## and ##df## in this case.

christian0710 said:

Yes. The notation ##\int f## is acceptable and ##\int f(x)dx## is acceptable, but not ##\int f dx##. The notation ##\int fdf## is acceptable, but that is the same as ##\int xdx##, which is not what you mean.

1. What is the importance of writing correct mathematics?

Writing correct mathematics is essential because it allows for clear communication between mathematicians and ensures accuracy in mathematical proofs and calculations. Inaccurate or incorrect mathematical writing can lead to confusion and incorrect conclusions.

2. What is a function within a function in mathematics?

A function within a function, also known as a composite function, is a mathematical concept where one function is used as an input for another function. This allows for more complex and versatile mathematical operations.

3. How do I write correct mathematics when using functions within functions?

When writing correct mathematics with functions within functions, it is important to clearly define each function and its corresponding variables, use proper notation, and follow the correct order of operations. Additionally, it is important to check for any potential errors or mistakes in the calculations.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing mathematics with functions within functions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing mathematics with functions within functions include using incorrect notation, not following the correct order of operations, and not clearly defining each function and its variables. It is also important to avoid any potential errors in the calculations, such as division by zero or incorrect use of parentheses.

5. Are there any resources available to help me write correct mathematics with functions within functions?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with writing correct mathematics, including textbooks, online tutorials, and peer-reviewed articles. Additionally, there are software programs and calculators that can assist with complex calculations involving functions within functions.