Writing Force and Tension Equations

In summary, the equations used to calculate the forces on a block of mass moving across a floor with a constant velocity are as follows: F = μsmg, F = mgsin(θ), and F = mgsin(θ).
MysticDude
Gold Member

Homework Statement

All answers shuold be in terms of m,g, θ ,μk and μs
1.Write the equation used to calculate the force required to move a block of mass m across a floor with a constant velocity. [SOLVED]
2.Write the equation to calculate the tension in a rope holding a block of mass m motionless on a ramp. [SOLVED]
3.Write the equation used to calculate the tension in a rope that is dragging a block of mass m up a ramp with constant acceleration.[SOLVED]
4Write the equation used to calculate net force on a block of mass m that is accelerating down a ramp.

Homework Equations

Well, you are supposed to write the equations :P

The Attempt at a Solution

1.Okay for number 1, since the velocity is constant the acceleration is 0. In other words F - f = 0 where f is the friction force. So the force will be F = f. and since everything has to be in the terms as the provided instructions tell us, my final answer will be F = μsmg.

2. Here is where I stopped and got a little confused. I think that the force is just mgsin(θ). In other words I think that my final answer is F = mgsin(θ).

3. I am stuck here :P.Note: As we progress, I will put [SOLVED] around the solved questions.
Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MysticDude said:
1.Okay for number 1, since the velocity is constant the acceleration is 0. In other words F - f = 0 where f is the friction force. So the force will be F = f. and since everything has to be in the terms as the provided instructions tell us, my final answer will be F = μsmg.
Since the problem states the block would move(←key word!) at a constant velocity, can you think of a simple modification to your answer?

2. Here is where I stopped and got a little confused. I think that the force is just mgsin(θ). In other words I think that my final answer is F = mgsin(θ).
That's correct if there is no friction. Does the problem indicate whether friction is present?

3. I am stuck here :P.
Is it supposed to be constant acceleration or constant velocity? Either way, you should start by drawing a free body (force) diagram.

Redbelly98 said:
Since the problem states the block would move(←key word!) at a constant velocity, can you think of a simple modification to your answer?That's correct if there is no friction. Does the problem indicate whether friction is present?Is it supposed to be constant acceleration or constant velocity? Either way, you should start by drawing a free body (force) diagram.
So for number 1, my answer should be F = μkmg right? Kinetic friction.

For number 2, I don't know whether or not there is friction because I only have as much information as is given in my problem.

For number 3, I drew a simple free body diagram of the object on the ramp using Gimp. [PLAIN]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4083/nov22hwnum3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind if I pitch in? :)

MysticDude said:
So for number 1, my answer should be F = μkmg right? Kinetic friction.
Looks right, to me at least!

For number 3, I drew a simple free body diagram of the object on the ramp using Gimp. [PLAIN]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4083/nov22hwnum3.jpg[/QUOTE]
Is the force of the ramp on the box going to be directly opposite mg?

Condensate said:
Do you mind if I pitch in? :)

Looks right, to me at least!Is the force of the ramp on the box going to be directly opposite mg?

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of your reply. Since mg is the gravitational force, it should always point directly downwards right? Or are you talking about the normal force and how it should be perpendicular to the ramp? I still don't have an idea on the equation though. :(

Oh and thanks for helping me!

MysticDude said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the second part of your reply. Since mg is the gravitational force, it should always point directly downwards right? Or are you talking about the normal force and how it should be perpendicular to the ramp? I still don't have an idea on the equation though. :(

Oh and thanks for helping me!
Yep, the normal force should be perpendicular to the ramp, and its magnitude will depend on that of the Y component of mg (this is after re-orienting the picture so that you end up with three axis-aligned forces and mg as your only slanted force.)

And no problem (about the help)!

Condensate said:
Yep, the normal force should be perpendicular to the ramp, and its magnitude will depend on that of the Y component of mg (this is after re-orienting the picture so that you end up with three axis-aligned forces and mg as your only slanted force.)

And no problem (about the help)!

Ok so it should be something like this If I don't rearrange the axes right: [PLAIN]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/981/nov22hwnum32.jpg

MysticDude said:
Ok so it should be something like this If I don't rearrange the axes right: [PLAIN]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/981/nov22hwnum32.jpg[/QUOTE]
Yeah, so everything after that in terms of finding the equation of #3 should be smooth sailing.

Ok so after rearranging the axes I get this:
[PLAIN]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8599/nov22hwnum33.jpg

Normally if mg was directly downward, the equation would have been F -μkFn(where is the normal force or mg) = ma. But now mg is slanted by a θ west from south, I think that the formula now should be F - μkmgsin(θ) = ma. What do you think about this?

MysticDude said:
Ok so after rearranging the axes I get this:
[PLAIN]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8599/nov22hwnum33.jpg

Normally if mg was directly downward, the equation would have been F -μkFn(where is the normal force or mg) = ma. But now mg is slanted by a θ west from south, I think that the formula now should be F - μkmgsin(θ) = ma. What do you think about this?

If θ is west from south, then yeah, I think I agree with that answer too. :)
So F= ma + μkmgsin(θ) ?

Condensate said:
If θ is west from south, then yeah, I think I agree with that answer too. :)
So F= ma + μkmgsin(θ) ?
WooHoo I finally got it. I was thinking that it was going to be really complex and what not, but you showed me the light :P. By doing some adding I get what you get :P.

MysticDude said:
WooHoo I finally got it. I was thinking that it was going to be really complex and what not, but you showed me the light :P. By doing some adding I get what you get :P.
Yeah moving terms from one side of the equation to the other is a pain, and if you ever need help with it again, I think I'll take one for the team. :P
10 (:P) s

You're good with question 4 now, too?

Condensate said:
Yeah moving terms from one side of the equation to the other is a pain, and if you ever need help with it again, I think I'll take one for the team. :P

You're good with question 4 now, too?

I haven't started number 4 yet. But I think that this one is easier. But that's me :P I can be wrong hehe.

Last edited:
Wait, MysticDude. The X component of mg was overlooked in problem 3.
My bad.

Condensate said:
Wait, MysticDude. The X component of mg was overlooked in problem 3.
My bad.
Once you said that I visually understood it. If we use θ west from south, then it has to be cos(θ) right? So technically we are right if you use θ is from 0° to the line of mg right?

Huh? Sorry, maybe I'm just misunderstanding your post.

But yeah, the equation described earlier in the thread was missing that cos term.

I'll get to number 3 later because I think we are correct so, can we work on number 4 please? I'm not rushing since I have the whole week to finish this homework but I also do want to get it over with.

What is the purpose of writing force and tension equations?

The purpose of writing force and tension equations is to accurately calculate and describe the forces and tensions acting on a system, such as a structure or object. These equations help us understand the behavior of the system and ensure its stability and safety.

What are the key components of a force and tension equation?

The key components of a force and tension equation include the forces acting on the system, the direction and magnitude of these forces, and the properties and geometry of the system itself. These components must be carefully identified and quantified in order to accurately write the equation.

What are some common methods for writing force and tension equations?

Some common methods for writing force and tension equations include using free body diagrams, applying Newton's laws of motion, and using the principles of equilibrium. These methods allow us to break down complex systems into simpler components and analyze their forces and tensions separately.

What are some real-world applications of force and tension equations?

Force and tension equations have numerous real-world applications, such as in structural engineering, bridge design, and aerospace engineering. These equations are also used in physics and mechanics to analyze the behavior of objects and systems under different forces and tensions.

How can I ensure the accuracy and validity of my force and tension equations?

To ensure the accuracy and validity of force and tension equations, it is important to carefully identify and quantify all the forces acting on the system, use the correct mathematical formulas and principles, and double-check the calculations for any errors. It is also helpful to compare the results with real-world observations or experimental data.