Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing the EFE in a different form

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anyone know where I can, possiblely, find the EFE's written only in terms of the metric tensor and the stress-energy tensor? I know that the Ricci Curvature tensor and the Ricci scalar are derived (eventually) from the metric tensor (after a roundabout way through Christoffel symbols). The expression, I would think would be immensely long, but is there a place that has it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could probably generate it using software like Maxima and ctensor, or cadabra.

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I.C. I'm not familiar with such software...do you think any website may have it?

It's not that important, I'd just like to see the thing so it becomes a little more concrete in my mind.

5. Dec 4, 2009 #4
    I did that for a presentation a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find the latex file with the complete expression. As I remember, there were around 50 terms on the LHS, with all sorts of permutations of up to 4 factors of g per term, the whole thing looked remarkably messy and lacked any visible patterns.

You can reconstruct it by hand in less than an hour, starting here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_tensor

6. Dec 4, 2009 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, I may do that sometime...I just don't have the time right now hehe, essay for school due tomorrow, and I haven't started yet! D=

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook