Writing the Faraday tensor for a particle in an E field

In summary, a particle with charge q and mass m traveling in the x direction in a lab with velocity v encounters a constant E-field in the y direction. In the rest frame of the lab, the non-zero components of the Faraday tensor are F^{02}=-E_{y} and F^{20}=+E_{y}. However, this may not be correct as there could be a missing magnetic component.
peterjaybee

Homework Statement

A particle of charge q and mass m is traveling in the lab with velocity v in the x direction when it encounters a constant E-field in the y direction. State the non zero components of the Faraday tensor in the rest frame of the lab.

The Attempt at a Solution

I said
[tex]E=E_{x}i + E_{y}j + E_{z}k[/tex]
As the field is in the y direction
[tex]E=E_{y}j[/tex]

Thus I believe the faraday tensot to have 2 non-zero components.
[tex]F^{02}=-E_{y}[/tex] and [tex]F^{20}=+E_{y}[/tex]

This does not seem right as the next part of the question asks for the equations of motion for the particle which I get out as a load of 0's.

Am I missing a magnetic component, and if so, how do I get it?

Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't replace Ey with F01 + F10, if that's what your doing.

just realized i got the indicies wrong. Now the original post is correct.

1. What is the Faraday tensor and how does it relate to particles in an electric field?

The Faraday tensor is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic field. It describes the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields at every point in space. When applied to particles in an electric field, the Faraday tensor can be used to calculate the forces and motions experienced by the particles.

2. How is the Faraday tensor written for a particle in an electric field?

The Faraday tensor for a particle in an electric field is written as Fμν = ∂Aν/∂xμ - ∂Aμ/∂xν, where Aμ is the electromagnetic potential and μ, ν represent the four dimensions of space and time.

3. What is the significance of the Faraday tensor in particle physics?

The Faraday tensor is essential in understanding the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields, which is crucial in particle physics. It allows for the calculation of forces and movements of particles, which is crucial in studying their interactions and properties.

4. How does the Faraday tensor account for the Lorentz force on a charged particle?

The Lorentz force on a charged particle is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. The Faraday tensor accounts for this force by describing the electric and magnetic fields in terms of the electromagnetic potential, A, which is used to calculate the forces on the particle.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Faraday tensor for particles in an electric field?

While the Faraday tensor is a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of particles in electric fields, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the electric field and the movement of the particle are constant, and it does not account for the effects of quantum mechanics. Additionally, it only applies to particles with a non-zero charge.