Calculating the components of the Ricci tensor

In summary, there appears to be a mistake in the question as the given values for the connection coefficients do not result in the expected value of ##R_{22}=e^{2x}##.
jore1
Homework Statement
Given the line element ## ds^2=a^2dt^2 -a^2dx^2 - \frac{a^2e^{2x}}{2}dy^2 +2a^2e^xdydt -a^2dz^2 ##
(I) Calculate ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}##

Now assume the following values for the connection coefficients: ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}=\Gamma^{0}_{21}=\Gamma^{0}_{10}=\Gamma^{0}_{01}=1##, ##\Gamma^{1}_{22}=\frac{e^{2x}}{2}$, $\Gamma^{2}_{10}=-e^{-x}##, ##\Gamma^{1}_{02}=\Gamma^{1}_{20}=\frac{e^{x}}{2}## and all others are zero.

(II) Calculate ##R_{22}##

I am currently working through an exercise to calculate the component ##R_{22}## of the Ricci tensor for the line element ##ds^2=a^2dt^2 -a^2dx^2 - \frac{a^2e^{2x}}{2}dy^2 +2a^2e^xdydt -a^2dz^2##. The question first asks for the value of ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}##, which I calculate to be ##\frac{e^{x}}{2}##. I am told to assume the following values for the connection coefficients: ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}=\Gamma^{0}_{21}=\Gamma^{0}_{10}=\Gamma^{0}_{01}=1##, ##\Gamma^{1}_{22}=\frac{e^{2x}}{2}$, $\Gamma^{2}_{10}=-e^{-x}##, ##\Gamma^{1}_{02}=\Gamma^{1}_{20}=\frac{e^{x}}{2}## and all others are zero.

Using the relation for the Ricci tensor, I find that the only non-zero components are: ##R_{22}=\partial_1(\Gamma^{0}_{12})+\Gamma^{0}_{10}\Gamma^{1}_{22}-\Gamma^{0}_{21}\Gamma^{1}_{02}-\Gamma^{1}_{20}\Gamma^{0}_{12}##. This is where the problem arises: using the assumed values for the connection coefficients (with ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}=\Gamma^{0}_{21}=1##) I find that ##R_{22}=e^{2x}-e^{x}##, while using the values ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}=\Gamma^{0}_{21}=\frac{e^{x}}{2}## (the rest being those assumed) I find that ##R_{22}=e^{2x}##. I am told that the second result is correct. It seems to be the case that the assumed value for ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}## is incorrect.

Could someone provide clarification as to whether there is indeed a mistake in the question? As a beginner in GR, I find myself questioning the basics.
Relevant Equations
##R_{ab}=\Gamma^{d}_{ab,d}-\Gamma^{d}_{da,b}+\Gamma^{d}_{de}\Gamma^{e}_{ab}-\Gamma^{d}_{ae}\Gamma^{e}_{db}##

##\Gamma^{a}_{bc}=\frac{1}{2}g^{ad}(g_{bd,c}+g_{cd,b}-g_{bc,d}##
(I) Using the relevant equation I find this to be ## \frac{e^{x}}{2} ##.

(II) Using the relation for the Ricci tensor, I find that the only non-zero components are: ##R_{22}=\partial_1(\Gamma^{0}_{12})+\Gamma^{0}_{10}\Gamma^{1}_{22}-\Gamma^{0}_{21}\Gamma^{1}_{02}-\Gamma^{1}_{20}\Gamma^{0}_{12}##. This is where the problem arises: using the assumed values for the connection coefficients (with ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}=\Gamma^{0}_{21}=1##) I find that ##R_{22}=e^{2x}-e^{x}##, while using the values ##\Gamma^{0}_{12}=\Gamma^{0}_{21}=\frac{e^{x}}{2}## (the rest being those assumed) I find that ##R_{22}=e^{2x}##.

Could someone provide clarification as to whether there is indeed a mistake in the question? As a beginner in GR, I find myself questioning the basics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could have slipped up, but I'm getting ##\Gamma^0_{1 2} = -\large\frac{e^x} 6##.

Please double-check that there are no typos in your expression for ##ds^2##. It will also help if you list the expressions you used for the nonzero ##g_{\mu \nu}## and the nonzero ##g^{\mu \nu}##.

Yes, I mistyped the metric should be: ##ds^2=a^2dt^2 -a^2dx^2 + \frac{a^2e^{2x}}{2}dy^2 +2a^2e^xdydt -a^2dz^2##

This then gives: ##g_{ab} = \left[\begin{matrix}a^{2} & 0 & a^{2} e^{x} & 0\\0 & - a^{2} & 0 & 0\\a^{2} e^{x} & 0 & + \frac{a^{2} e^{2 x}}{2} & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & - a^{2}\end{matrix}\right]##

and ##g^{ab} = \frac{1}{a^2}\left[\begin{matrix}-1 & 0 & 2 e^{-x} & 0\\0 & - 1 & 0 & 0\\ 2e^{-x} & 0 & -2e^{-2x} & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & - 1\end{matrix}\right]##

Apologies for the mistake.

Last edited:
jore1 said:
the metric should be: ##ds^2=a^2dt^2 -a^2dx^2 + \frac{a^2e^{2x}}{2}dy^2 +2a^2e^xdydt -a^2dz^2##
Ok. I agree with you, ##\Gamma^0_{12} = \large \frac{e^x} 2##.

Thanks for the response. So is my conclusion correct that there is a mistake in the question? I think the idea was that the component ##R_{22}## was supposed to be ##e^{2x}## either way. Though this doesn't seem to be work.

jore1 said:
So is my conclusion correct that there is a mistake in the question?
Yes, I think there must be a mistake in the question. Here's what I find for the nonzero connection coefficients, $$\Gamma^0_{10} = \Gamma^0_{01} = 1$$ $$\Gamma^0_{12} = \Gamma^0_{21} = \frac {e^x} 2$$ $$\Gamma^2_{10} = \Gamma^2_{01} = -e^{-x}$$ $$\Gamma^1_{22} = -\frac{e^{2x}}{2}$$ $$\Gamma^1_{02} = \Gamma^1_{20} = -\frac{e^{x}}{2}$$ The last two differ in sign from the problem statement.

R_11 = e^-2x

R_12 = 1 - e^2x

R_21 = 1 + e^2x

R_22 = e^2x

1. What is the Ricci tensor?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. It is a symmetric 2nd-order tensor that is derived from the Riemann curvature tensor.

2. How do you calculate the components of the Ricci tensor?

To calculate the components of the Ricci tensor, you first need to compute the Christoffel symbols and the Riemann curvature tensor. Then, you can use the Ricci tensor formula, which involves contracting the Riemann tensor over two indices.

3. What is the significance of the Ricci tensor in general relativity?

In general relativity, the Ricci tensor plays a crucial role in Einstein's field equations, which describe how matter and energy curve spacetime. The Ricci tensor helps determine the curvature of spacetime and how objects move in a gravitational field.

4. Can the Ricci tensor be used to study black holes?

Yes, the Ricci tensor is commonly used in the study of black holes. By analyzing the Ricci tensor in the vicinity of a black hole, scientists can understand the spacetime curvature near the event horizon and predict the behavior of matter and light around black holes.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating the components of the Ricci tensor?

While the traditional method involves computing the Riemann curvature tensor and contracting it to find the Ricci tensor, there are alternative approaches such as using differential forms or geometric algebra. These methods may offer different insights or computational advantages in certain situations.