Wrong measuring of diode I-V curve in pulsed mode

In summary, the conversation discusses an experimental setup for measuring the I-V curve of a normal diode in pulsed mode. The results obtained do not match the expected values and the individual is unsure of what may be causing the discrepancy. They suggest trying a different resistor to minimize the effect of the diode on the current measurement.
simazPHYS
Hi. In order to measure the I-V curve of a normal diode in pulsed mode, I set up the following experimental kit. The experimental results do not change with pulsewidth, which is quite long (us regime), and low frequency (200hz and less).
An HP pulse generator is connected via BNC cable to an oscilloscope (1MOhm input) to measure the input voltage, and to the series of the diode under investigation and a 50Ohm resistor. The voltage drop across this resistor is measured via the second channel of the scope. No terminators are used.
The problem is that the I-V I obtain is different from what it should be (using the curve tracer or the datasheet). However, when I replace the diode with a resistor (for instance a 550Ohm resistance), the I-V I obtain is reasonably good (straigh line, ~500Ohm slope obtained).
I cannot figure out what is wrong
I can post the graphs and the photo of the experiment if necessary.
Here is the schematics

Vin--------------------|>-----------/\/\/\/\/\--------GND
diode | 50 Ohm
|
|
Vout

Vdiode=Vin-Vout
Idiode=Vout/50

Thanks
Simone

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you do it like that, the current flowing is that of the diode plus the resistor across the input voltage.

This will be different to that of the diode alone. It will be more like a resistor when the diode is conducting, so you will get a sloping line instead of a vertical one.

To minimise this effect, you could try putting in just a 1 ohm resistor instead of the 500 ohm one.

You can then read the voltage across the resistor as milliamps. 10 mV = 10 mA

1. What is a diode I-V curve in pulsed mode?

A diode I-V curve in pulsed mode is a graphical representation of the current-voltage relationship of a diode when it is operated in a pulsed mode. This means that the diode is turned on and off in regular intervals, rather than being continuously powered.

2. Why is it important to measure the diode I-V curve in pulsed mode?

Measuring the diode I-V curve in pulsed mode allows for a more accurate understanding of the diode's performance under dynamic conditions. This is especially important for applications where the diode is subjected to rapid changes in voltage and current, such as in switching circuits.

3. What can cause wrong measurements of the diode I-V curve in pulsed mode?

There are several factors that can lead to wrong measurements of the diode I-V curve in pulsed mode. These include incorrect setup of the measurement equipment, improper calibration, and noise interference from other components in the circuit.

4. How can wrong measurements of the diode I-V curve in pulsed mode be prevented?

To prevent wrong measurements of the diode I-V curve in pulsed mode, it is important to carefully set up and calibrate the measurement equipment. Additionally, it is important to minimize noise interference by using proper shielding and isolation techniques.

5. What are the potential consequences of using wrong measurements of the diode I-V curve in pulsed mode?

Using wrong measurements of the diode I-V curve in pulsed mode can lead to incorrect assumptions about the diode's performance and may result in the use of unsuitable components for a particular application. This can ultimately lead to circuit failure or suboptimal performance.