Wulff construction for surface energy dependent on depth

In summary, the usual Wulff relation is not always applicable when the surface energy depends on the surface orientation, depth, or termination.
decart
Hello,

Using surface energy dependence on surface orientation it is possible to predict equilibrium crystal shape by applying Wulff construction. But I faced the problem when the surface energy depends not only on the surface orientation but also on the surface depth or surface termination and depends significantly.
So, usual Wulff relation
∑γisi=min
becomes
∑γi(rj)si=min
where γi(rj) is periodical function of surface energy γi upon the depth rj.
How it is possible to correctly apply Wulff construction to this case?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know the answer but I think that there will be inifitely many Wulff constructions for the same material depending on the surrounding thermodynamic conditions. For example, the surfaces of the metal oxide MO can be terminated by M, O, depending on oxygen chemical potential. Thus, for a give value, of T, P, μO, there will be a Wulff construction. Just a thought.

Thank you for the answer!
Yes,I agree with you. But how should I choose the γi(rj)? Should I choose maximal or minimum value (which will depend on P,T, etc.), or something else?

I'm not sure I understand the depth part of your question. Do you mean the the thickness of the thin film (or the slab model in a computational model)? Or let's say the size of the nano particle you are trying to study?

At any rate systems try to minimize their free energy. And in order to do this properly, you need to compute/measure the surface energy (or better free energy) for each surface (h,i,k) and use the termination that minimizes the surface free energy in the sum you indicated above for the Wulff construction.

Again my responses are based on primitive understanding of surface science.

Thank you for the answer and sorry for the misleading (I expected that term "depth" is vague). I talk about surfaces, not slabs. The surfaces with same orientation (a⋅h,a⋅i,a⋅k) for a=1...N has different γa, whereas application of usual Wulff relation requires γa=const for the same surface (h,i,k). Please find the graphical representation of the problem attached to the message.
upload_2017-7-11_11-39-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-11_11-38-40.png
    upload_2017-7-11_11-38-40.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 605
Thank you for explaining this by a schematic, it made it much clearer. I always thought that the surface energy of (001) is the same as the surface energy of (002) or (003),... Please could you give an example, where this is actually not the case. A specific material with certain crystal structure will help orienting the discussion.

What is Wulff construction for surface energy dependent on depth?

Wulff construction is a mathematical method used to determine the equilibrium shape of a crystal based on the surface energy at different depths within the crystal.

How does Wulff construction work?

Wulff construction uses the surface energy at each depth within a crystal to create a surface energy diagram, where the slope of the line represents the surface energy at that depth. The point where the tangent line intersects the edge of the diagram represents the equilibrium shape of the crystal.

Why is Wulff construction important in materials science?

Wulff construction helps scientists understand the surface energy of different materials and how it affects the overall structure and properties of a crystal. This information is crucial in designing and developing new materials for various applications.

What are the limitations of Wulff construction?

Wulff construction assumes that the surface energy is isotropic, meaning it is the same in all directions. However, in some materials, the surface energy may vary depending on the direction, making Wulff construction less accurate.

Are there any real-world applications of Wulff construction?

Yes, Wulff construction has been used in various fields such as metallurgy, crystal growth, and nanotechnology to determine the equilibrium shape of crystals and predict the behavior of materials at the atomic level.