X = ((384x/(y+384))*y+384(384x/(y+384)))/384

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnnyamerica
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 5K views
Solved: x=((384x/(y+384))*y+384(384x/(y+384)))/384

I solved for y1 and y2. I can't edit the title of the original post but this is solved.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


SammyS said:
@ NascentOxygen,

Do you mean like this?
Precisely. Would be invaluable for checking results. Thanks.
 


johnnyamerica said:
x-x=0, you say? I wasn't aware.

Let's start with something simpler. Like x=3y-4. Easy to solve. Try to feed x-3y+4 to Wolfram and see if it will equal zero. Do you see there is some important difference between x = ((384x/(y+384))*y+384(384x/(y+384)))/384 and x=3y-4? One is tautology, other is not.

Any value of x or y can result in a different value of x or y. I can find any x if I know y, but how can I find any y without already knowing y?

Using your equation you can't find y, because such a unique solution doesn't exist.

x-x=y-y is another equation similar to yours - it can't be solved for exactly the same reasons you can't solve your equation. No matter what you put as x, any y will still make it correct. Yours is just more convoluted.