1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

X and x' in two coordinate relativistic systems

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    let's say we have two coordinate systems ( S-OXYZ and S'-O'X'Y'Z') , S' moving with velocity v away from S . At t=0 O=O'.

According to Lorentz' transformations we have :

At t=0 x in as a function of x' :
    [tex]x=\frac{x'}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}=x'\gamma[/tex]

Now, say I know x(I just found it above) , and I want to find x'
    [tex]x'=x\gamma=x'\gamma^2=>\gamma^2=1[/tex]

Where does this come from and what have I missed ?
    Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

Why are you just looking at cases where t=0? The general transformation would be [tex]x' = \gamma (x - vt)[/tex], so if t=0 then you do have [tex]x' = \gamma x[/tex] (you seem to have reversed x and x' though, unless you meant to write t'=0).
    I agree with [tex]x' = x \gamma[/tex] in the case of t=0, but where are you getting [tex]x \gamma = x' \gamma^2[/tex]? Are you taking the reverse Lorentz transform [tex]x = \gamma (x' + vt')[/tex] and setting t'=0 as well, thus getting [tex]x = \gamma x'[/tex]? The problem is that if you set both t=0 and t'=0, the only coordinates where both time coordinates are 0 are (x=0, t=0) and (x'=0, t'=0), so obviously if x'=0 then you can have [tex]x' = x' \gamma^2[/tex] even when [tex]\gamma[/tex] is not 0.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    Tnx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?