X-component of electric field from charge Q1 at point P

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
brioches
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A positive charge of magnitude Q1 = 8.5 nC is located at the origin. A negative charge Q2 = -8.5 nC is located on the positive x-axis at x = 16.5 cm from the origin. The point P is located y = 7.5 cm above charge Q2. Calculate the x-component of the electric field at point P due to charge Q1. Write your answer in units of N/C.

Homework Equations



Efield = (K)(Q)/(r2)

The Attempt at a Solution


I found the E-field created by Q1 by doing (k)(Q1)/(r2). I found r to be .18125 by performing the Pythagorean Theorem on the x and y legs. I then multiplied this answer by x/r because it asks for just the x-component, which is the E-field times cos(θ), and cos(θ) is adjacent/hypotenuse. I got 421.506 for the E-field and .910345 for cos(θ), and after multiplying these, I got 383.716, which is not the right answer. Any help is much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
You seem to have used kq/r, not kq/r2.
Welp, that was definitely it. Thanks so much!