X-ray absorption by semiconductors

In summary: The X-ray absorption spectrum of semiconductors is composed of a variety of energy levels, and the level of energy that a particular atom or molecule absorbs depends on its characteristics. In particular, the energy levels of a semiconductor are arranged in a series, and the energy levels of the most energetic photon determine which levels of the series are activated. This is why X-rays are absorbed by semiconductors in a particular way- the most energetic photons are absorbed at the level of the series that is most energetic for that material.
rama1001
Hi,
i am doing a project course in masters. i need help regarding on X-ray Spectrum absorption by semiconductors. I am doing the simulations in XOP(X-ray oriented programs) software which is freeware at http://www.esrf.eu/UsersAndScience/Experiments/TBS/SciSoft/xop2.3 . So, my doubt is when the spectrum of X-rays are absorbed by Silicon, GaAs and CaTe(candium telliride), i read the output wave form from the above software but i don't know reason for why we going for this type interactions and what is the result of this actions. what happened to X-ray sprectrum after. weather any reactions takes plave between the atoms of that materials. if so, give the explanation abt this.

thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I guess that software is mainly designed for synchrotron science (to me it looks like a software for controlling beam quality). Not for analyzing and absorption phenomenon for semiconductor materials..

no there are ineer option to check the sprectrum like filtering with different materials and also some other options not related to my project

It is X-ray optics software and may not suit you.
It is for analysing the undulator or wiggler spectrum, etc..
And in ESRF generally semiconductors like silicon crystals are used for monochromatization of the beam (In Advanced photon source and DLS diamond crystals are used). So there may be some option in the software to try different semiconductors to check the resolution after monochromatization.. So absolutely not useful for you.

this is the project from last three years in my univ and all are doing in that software and also i have got old report from students but i can't copy the things from those data. so i need to know the things. if u downloaded the software means go to optics->mirrors and filters->in that choose last option -> it will open new window and ask for *set parameters*-> in that chose only one filter -> give material name(in my casr Si, GaAs, CdTe) what you want to filter and cilck show to visuailize the plot...now i wnat to know about the reponse what you will get after all the process as i said. what makes the difference between these filters and how should i explaine the result...please clear me out..

Hi,
I guess you want to try for your specific material.. May be the new version might have changed. So better ask you friends..
cheers

First you should be clear WHAT you want rather than trying to learn the code/software. If you want to analyze the X-ray absorption spectra, then clearly this is not the software for you. It seems more inclined towards the analysis of the beam itself and its characteristics. Though (from the screencasts) it seems that it CAN be used for the analysis of XAS, but it is not the best of the available options. If you could clearly mention WHAT you want, then someone can help you better.

For XAS,
Athena, Iffifit, Xcurve can be useful.

Last edited:
I don't want any suggestions about software or any thing related to software. i need to know abouy how the X-rays absorption will happen if you used semiconductors like Silicon, GaAs and CdTe as a filter. I need some explanation about these concepts.

rama1001 said:
Hi,
i am doing a project course in masters. i need help regarding on X-ray Spectrum absorption by semiconductors. I am doing the simulations in XOP(X-ray oriented programs) software which is freeware at http://www.esrf.eu/UsersAndScience/Experiments/TBS/SciSoft/xop2.3 . So, my doubt is when the spectrum of X-rays are absorbed by Silicon, GaAs and CaTe(candium telliride), i read the output wave form from the above software but i don't know reason for why we going for this type interactions and what is the result of this actions. what happened to X-ray sprectrum after. weather any reactions takes plave between the atoms of that materials. if so, give the explanation abt this.

thanks in advance...

Hi,
From your post (please see above) it seems that you are asking for some idea regarding the usage of the software XOP. Therefore, abhi2005singh and myself trying to give you some hints.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want any suggestions about software or any thing related to software. i need to know abouy how the X-rays absorption will happen if you used semiconductors like Silicon, GaAs and CdTe as a filter. I need some explanation about these concepts.

Following may be of some help to you.
http://www.elsevier.com/framework_products/promis_misc/622954sc1.pdf

What is X-ray absorption by semiconductors?

X-ray absorption by semiconductors refers to the phenomenon where an X-ray photon is absorbed by a semiconductor material, resulting in the excitation of an electron and the production of a photoelectron. This process is important for understanding the electronic properties of semiconductors and is commonly used in X-ray spectroscopy techniques.

How does X-ray absorption by semiconductors occur?

X-ray absorption by semiconductors occurs when an X-ray photon with enough energy interacts with a semiconductor material. The photon transfers its energy to an electron in the material, causing it to become excited and leave its original energy state. The resulting vacancy can then be filled by another electron, producing a photoelectron and releasing energy in the form of fluorescence or Auger electrons.

What factors affect X-ray absorption by semiconductors?

The amount of X-ray absorption by semiconductors is affected by several factors, including the energy and intensity of the X-ray beam, the chemical composition and density of the semiconductor material, and the distance the X-rays must travel through the material. Additionally, the electronic structure of the semiconductor, such as the band gap and density of states, can also influence X-ray absorption.

What are the applications of X-ray absorption by semiconductors?

X-ray absorption by semiconductors has various applications in materials science, chemistry, and physics. It is commonly used in X-ray spectroscopy techniques, such as X-ray absorption spectroscopy and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, to study the electronic properties of semiconductors. It is also utilized in the development of new semiconductor materials for electronic devices and solar energy conversion.

How is X-ray absorption by semiconductors measured?

X-ray absorption by semiconductors can be measured using different experimental techniques, depending on the specific properties and processes being studied. Some common methods include X-ray absorption spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. These techniques involve directing X-rays at a semiconductor sample and analyzing the resulting signals, such as fluorescence or photoelectrons, to determine the absorption properties of the material.